TN: 2012 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Urglück

2012 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Urglück - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/7/2019)
Deep, grounded, evocative, pure, searching, finding, elementary, transportive, meaningful, enticing, stimulating, heartening…

The soul of the Mosel and the Urziger Wurzgarten lives in this wine. It’s there, waiting to receive you. Don’t hurry. It will be there whenever you choose to come to it, now or later.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note David. This was producer was off my radar but once I saw the prices (or lack there of) I grabbed some of the 16 Urziger Wurzgarten Spat # 6 for $24. Eager to try!

It’s old school

Urglück?

It’s a small parcel within Urziger Wurtzgarten. There’s a small bit on the Skurnik website, but not a lot of information. That said, I second David’s opinion of Merkelbach. They are one of my every year purchases, and the wines are just a joy to drink. As David says, “old school”.

The brothers are late 70s and, from what I understand, without a next generation waiting in the wings.

Orc commander - Battle of Minas Tirith

:wink:

Early 80s now I believe. I have heard from multiple good sources that arrangements are in place for disposition of their parcels to a well known local on retirement, but I couldn’t pry out who that is or when it will take place (or if the timing is set) last time I inquired. The details were being held somewhat close to the chest. I expect it to be a bitterweet event.

Yeah, there are strong rumors that there is a plan in place. I have zero concrete information.

Someone in the Selbach family taking it on would make a lot of sense. The Urziger Wurzgarten, Erdener Treppchen & Kinheimer Rosenberg sites represent something that is not covered by the Selbach-Oster portfolio.

That’s pure conjecture on my part!

The brothers made the first German Riesling I ever tasted over 20 years ago - a 97 Urzinger Wurzgarten Spatlese. I love their wines.

Thanks for the note. Been a while since I’ve had a Merkelbach Urz Wurz. Have to remedy that.

Love Merkelbach. Still working my way through their 2001s.

Actually roughly translates as “primal bliss”. Take that Mr. Orc Commander.

Only the Germans could make bliss sound so bad.

Supposed to be funny? How does “bliss” sound any more blissful than “Glück”?

I’m almost tempted to say that only Americans can be so ignorant, but I won’t.

While it’s great to hear that there is a plan in place (Willi Shafer please?), it will be an extraordinary piece of luck if whoever takes over keeps the style/philosophy of the wines the same. Not trying to be a downer, more along the lines that these wines really are special.

Activate your sarcasm detector.

I think I said the same thing — would be great if it is Schaefer — and was told it was not.

Glad to hear about a 2012 drinking well. I’ve been scared to touch any.

Just got home from work, and poured a splash from what was left. Delicious.

Haven’t the Schaefers said that they’re not all that interested in growing the estate? Maybe that’s just what was suggested by Theise in his catalogs.