QPR Mixed Case of Mature Bordeaux

I thought it would be kind of a fun exercise to come up with a mixed case of my favorite mature (red) Bordeaux wines with a few constraints and caveats to keep it interesting:

1. $1k total to spend for exactly 12 wines either using low USA Wine Searcher prices or actual (reasonably recent) cost at retail or auction. Admittedly, this introduces a bit of blurring of the lines between QPR one could expect to get tomorrow and some lucky auction purchases, but I’ve excluded a few wines where I feel like I got absurdly good deals where they wouldn’t have otherwise made the list. I also rounded up a few prices that seem a decent amount lower than one would expect to find today.

2. This is a bottom-up list with no consideration given to diversification of appellations or vintages.

3. These are all wines I’ve had over the last few years after I got more serious about things I’m sure there are a ton of great options I’ve yet to try, so this list will likely evolve over time.

4. These are all wines I would consider reasonably mature, though that definition is somewhat subjective.

5. Wines are in no particular order.

I’d be interested to see the lists of others as well! [cheers.gif] newhere

‘88 Certan de May $90
‘83 Talbot $80
‘99 Canon La Gaffeliere $80
‘88 Pichon Lalande $90
‘90 Grand Mayne $60
‘95 Grand Mayne $50
‘82 Meyney $80
‘78 Ducru $90
‘82 Branaire Ducru $135
‘83 Cantemerle $70
‘94 L’Evangile $100
‘83 Brane Cantenac $75

$1000

Fun stuff!

I regularly buy mature Bordeaux that I consider great QPRs for regular drinking, so the case falls under the $1000 mark.

This past year I have bought (prices reasonably approximate):

1986 Meyney under $70
1986 La Lagune $60
1990 La Louviere $55
2002 Magdelaine $45
1989 Chasse Spleen $75
2000 Chasse Spleen $50
1989 Olivier $45
1986 Clerc Milon under $75
1995 Pichon Baron $99
1995 Sociando $65
1983 Cantemerle $60
2000 Cantemerle $45

Just really strong, mature QPRs.

The beauty of Bordeaux is how easy it is to backfill. And my miss rate with bad bottles is low, knock on wood!

Two excellent lists. I got a few hints. You might also consider Domaine de Chevalier Blanc, Secret de Cardinale (although best if under 15 years), Château Destieux (the '05 is very good). While these wines may be younger than what you envisioned, they are mature and best with about 10 - 15 years on them.

where the heck are you finding Pichon Lalande 88 for <$100?? but great list!

I think that was the oldest purchase on the list—maybe four years ago, and one of my first auctions. Bought a case for $850 + premium, or just under $85/bottle. The next auction I think one went for $1400. That’s one that would take a little luck to recreate. I rounded up a little, but maybe not enough, particularly considering that Bordeaux prices in general have moved up a bit over the last few years.

The ‘86 Meyney was an honorable mention for me, as well as several other 70’s and 80’s Cordier wines. My #13 pick would have been the 1989 Clerc Milon. The one bottle of 1986 I had wasn’t very good —but seemed like a bottle specific/storage issue as memory serves. That looks like an excellent list!

great score either way. [cheers.gif]

Awesome price on the ‘83 Brane Cantenac, although I don’t see that on W-S free (maybe premium). I’ve had it twice in 2018 and it was rockin’.

These prices are better than I have seen on wine-searcher.

Had it last night along with a few other great bottles. Held its own against an ‘83 Margaux, which is saying A LOT. Procured from Cellaraiders in the last year or so for just $75. Suffice it to say it is a STEAL at that price. I had a bottle a few months ago from an HDH auction that was similarly great, and the basis for its inclusion in my “All-star case”.

My theory is some of these lots fall through the cracks at auction…while at the same time the latest DRC or Rousseau lots are blowing through the top end of the estimates.

Sometimes you can pick up 1975 Le Gay in the $70-100 zone. That might meet your criteria.

There are also many lesser 1998 Pomerols that are drinking well, and have not been bid up. Names like Lafleur Gazin, Croix du Casse or Croix de Gay should still be all drinking ok, and are likely still in the $50ish zone.

Neat thread topic and thanks for starting.