TN: Ceritas 2014 Pinot Noir Costalina

The Ceritas “Costalina” line of blended always over delivers and last night was no exception. Very fragrant nose of cherries, raspberry and clove. Bing cherry flavor along with red raspberry, cranberry, clove and black tea. Mouthwatering acidity compliments the fruit perfectly and keeps you wanting another sip. The single vineyard pinot from Ceritas (Hellenthal, Elliott, Porter-Bass etc) are complex and very much speak to their place but the Costalina bottling, a blend of these vineyards in never far behind. Lovely pinot noir. Paired nicely with my wifes new recipe of roast pork, cabbage and cherry sauce.

Sorry for the blurry picture of the bottle taken in haste.
IMG_20190106_173145.jpg
And the pork dish

IMG_20190106_174918.jpg

Great note. Just picked up a bottle of the '15 recently and discovered it has some pretty disappointing notes on CT. Curious to see if it shakes out as well as yours did.

Have not had the 15 Costalina yet but when you do open it be sure to give it plenty of air. I always find the entire Ceritas line of Chard and Pinot to benefit from a good decant [cheers.gif]

Tom

I have drank a bottle of the 2015 and have a few more. I thought it was very nice. I’m not sure why it has the poor scores and reviews on cellartracker. I found it very enjoyable and worth buying. Tom’s review sounds more in-line with what I’d expect.

In regards to decanting, I did not decant but drank it over about 2-3 hours. I thought it showed well right away but did get better as it opened up more with air.

Thanks for the tasting note, Tom! I haven’t tried any of the other Ceritas Pinots but look forward to doing so. I have enjoyed the Chardonnays I’ve had from them so far as well.

Ceritas really nails it, for me.

I love their house style for both pinot and chard. My wife’s palate aligns with them, as well.

Thanks for that great note!

I always love their wines – particularly the Chards, but extremely impressed with the PNs as well.

Ok, I will bite – what is the recipe for the pork dish – it looks delicious!

Ron, totally agree with you. World class Chard and Pinot Noir.

Here is the recipe, my photo looks a bit sloppy due to the ingredients (pork, cabbage, cherry sauce) but I can tell you it was awesome!! Having leftovers tomorrow.

Tom

I had a 2016 old shop block pinot from Ceritas a few months back. The nose was unlike anything I’d ever smelled. Just this massive wave of baking spice. The taste fell flat and did not live up to the nose unfortunately.

I actually think yours looks more tasty than the one with the recipe (though to be totally transparent, my wife feels the opposite!). Thanks for sharing it. We will be trying it soon – and perhaps pull out a Ceritas Pinot.