This week's wines: Maybach, Runrig, Kutch

I had a good week of wine, beginning with the Maybach on NYE.

• 2012 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/6/2019)
    Nice blend of black cherries, blood orange, forest floor and a slightly bitter herbal element. Medium-bodied, with a sharp acidic edge to give it lift. A really nice wine for what it is today; it may become better if the acid ever integrates to keep the lift without the sting. (91 pts.)
  • 1999 Torbreck RunRig - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (1/5/2019)
    A little stink upon first opening, but it blew off. With air, it eventually developed black raspberry and mulberry, with mushrooms, forest floor, leather and spice. Medium-bodied, elegant, mellow. It seemed very Burgundian (albeit a little sweeter), much more than you might expect from this wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2007 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (1/1/2019)
    Intense blackberry and cassis, with some floral elements. Well-structured, with fine-grained tannins and perfectly integrated acidity. Exceptionally well-balanced for all its sheer size and scale. A riveting wine that got better as it opened. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I also had a 2003 Clos des Papes (very good) and a 2001 Christoffel Erdener Treppchen Riesling Spatlese (excellent and so tasty). The Christoffel was the oldest spatlese I’ve tried, and it was definitely in good shape and heading in a good direction.