Ryan Cochrane has passed away

It is with terrible sadness to report that my good friend Ryan Cochran of Ryan Cochran Wines has passed away today.

We worked together in the same facility as AP clients for a few years in San Francisco. We also poured our wines at the same festivals in Santa Barbara a few years back.

Ryan was so so funny. He made some of the best small lot Pinot Noir and Chardonnay that I have tasted for some time.

I will truly miss his off kilter sense of humor and his warm soul. The wine community has lost a marvelous winemaker. I will be raising a Fiddlestix Pinot Noir in his honor tonight.

Thanks for posting this sad news, Brian - I was just about to do the same. Agree that Ryan had a great sense of humor and was really generous as well. He made his wines in San Francisco even though all of his fruit came from Sta. Rita Hills and Santa Maria Valley, and his wines were consistently good. He’ll be missed by many.

I was fortunate enough to help Ryan bottle most of his 2016 and 2017 wines, and I’ll be bringing a 2016 Solomon Hills Pinot Noir to a wine dinner with friends this evening.

RIP Ryan

Oh, my.
He was ‘relatively’ young, wasn’t he?

I used to pour next to Ryan often at garagiste events and he was always funny, generous, and upbeat. It’s really sad to hear that he’s passed on.

F*CK CANCER

RIP . . .

This is a beautiful example of Pinot Noir, one that I would be proud to have made.
One cool guy who will be missed. Cheers Ryan!
1D897031-2269-4460-82F7-D4CB5C65808E.jpeg

Wow, sad news…Ryan made excellent wines

Sorry to see this. My condolences to his family and friends.

Wanted to post a brief update on the Ryan Cochrane wines. I helped bottle the 2018 Pinot Noirs yesterday at Ed Kurtzman’s winery in San Francisco, where Ryan made his wines last year. We bottled single-vineyard Pinots from Solomon Hills, Fiddlestix, and La Encantada vineyards plus a Santa Barbara County blend of all three. Ryan’s mother Catherine was on hand for the bottling, and it was great to hear that she will be continuing the Ryan Cochrane label - she and Ed will share in the winemaking. Ryan made some really good Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs, and these new 2018s may be the best he made.

ryan cochrane pinots.jpg