2016 Port

I’m thinking of getting a few bottles of 2016 Port for my kid’s birth year. I know all the major houses have declared it a fantastic vintage, but what I don’t know is how to choose among them! I don’t have enough experience with Ports to know the ins and outs of each house style or predilection for long term ageability.
I recently(ish) had some excellent 1980 Ports, both Graham’s and Dow’s, so I’ve got some nice data points. I see the scores are off the charts for all the major houses as well, including a 100 from Suckling for the Taylor Fladgate.
So if this was for your kid, which 2016 Port would you buy and why?
Thanks!

Its hard to go wrong if you pick a major house but consider port does not increase significantly in value so only do this as a gesture, not for value

Bought a 2016 Taylor Fladgate today at Costco for $88.99.

GrandVin has good prices on 2016s

Dow’s
Fonseca
Graham’s

If money isn’t an issue:

Quinta do Noval Naçional

I hope you are really buying it for yourself, as the odds your kid ends up liking Port are very low.

Anyway, I have tasted a bunch of 2016s, and so far loved the Dow and Fonseca the most of all. Quinta do Vesuvio was also excellent, and a good value.

Yeah, it’s not about the value down the road so much as having something to toast some significant birthdays down the road. We already have some good Rieslings, will be getting some Corison, etc. And yes, we love a good Port, so if we end up drinking it we won’t be upset.
Now if some of those will be just as easy to buy later on at similar prices, well, then I could easily hold off five years plus. But it seems that in most cases they go up over time, even if just from inflation.
GrandVin does have some nice pricing, better than K&L and LAWineCo. Any idea what their shipping rates are to SoCal? Or if they’re one of those places that jacks up the rates a lot? Their website refuses to give me an estimate. I will definitely check Costco when I’m next there, too.
Without something more to go on, I’ll probably end up getting 2 each of 3 different houses.

It helps to actually try them on release, even though they can be a bit difficult to evaluate. I’ve done that for a number of the declared vintages (thought not 2016), and have developed a preference for certain houses over others. Grahams tends to be on the sweeter side, not as much to my tastes. Fonseca/Taylor are pretty much straight down the middle, high quality. I almost always really like Noval and Vesuvio for their slightly less sweet, more herbal/anise profile. And Croft has been very strong the past few declared vintages.

I’ve tasted a few of the 2016. Graham’s Stone Terraces was my favorite followed by Dow and Taylors. Regular Grahams was a hair behind along with Fonseca. Churchills is a bargain as is Alves de Sousa. Was disappointed in Kopke, Barros, Burmester.

Our Costco has Warres 375ml for $36, seems like a good way to try one young.

Of course the Stone Terraces is $200/bottle.

Of course the Stone Terraces is $200/bottle.

Not outrageous considering the quality. A step up from Taylors and Dows. It’s a selection from the oldest terraced vines from Quinta dos Malvedos. I’ve a friend buying Tappit Hens of this.

I know. I tasted it. It’s really good, but damn.

I’ve always enjoyed Graham’s, we still have a stock of '94s lying around we’re slowly working through. I also highly recommend Quinta do Noval, while their Nacional is $$$$$$$, their regular vintage Port is superb at ~100$.

Anybody have thoughts on the 2016 Maynard’s that was up on Wine Library last night for $56?

Reviving an old thread since I’m buying some 2016s. Like them, but not too familiar with them. What were the stylistic differences between Dow and Fonseca?

For me, Dow presents a more austere style (for Port). Fonseca is flamboyant. I love them both, but they are quite different.

Took a look around as I recalled paying $100 at/near release for Dow’s 2011, and $200 for later bottles newhere

Dow’s: 2016 WS low of $90, tons available for $100, vs. 2011 WS low of $183, then others ~$215, vs. 2007 WS low of $150 (market appears to be $200 though, only one at $150, then a gap), vs. 1972 with one bottle listed with low fill for $190 (I picked these vintages as they all had CT averages at/near the same high level, ~95 points).

Taylor Fladgate: 2016 $90, 2011 $85, 2009 $85, 2003 $70, 1994 $160, 1992 $200.

Not sure the point, other than to say it may not be as simple as “does not increase significantly in value.”

+1

Fonseca can be drunk earlier IMO, if you like the style, though it’s a shame to sacrifice the complexity they can develop.