TN: 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard

My first experience with a PN from Rhys, and my goodness was it a memorable one. Consumed from decanter over the course of 3 hours. The evolution over those 3 hours was tremendous, with the last drop leaving me contemplating opening another bottle, and thankful that I have two more.

Deep, layered red fruit profile with a nose of kirsch, cola, cinnamon, and roses. Medium body, firm spine of acidity, supple tannins, and balanced alcohol. Striking balance, with absolutely nothing out of place. The spice profile on the palate comes across as more oak-originated than fruit-originated, but it is enticing nonetheless. This wine is all about finesse. Drinking so well now, and I can only assume it will hold on for at least another 5 years–probably longer.

94 points
IMG_8936.jpeg

Billy nice note. Thus far Bearwallow has been my favorite of the Rhys. You bring up a great point about the air time. While I like this style of wines, my wife doesn’t. Which means that when I pop a bottle it’s more impulsive, and I haven’t really let them breath like they probably should. Good reminder that doing so pays off.

I wouldn’t say that it was particularly slow to unravel, as it was already giving off quite a bit right from the get go, but it was definitely more enjoyable at the end of the bottle than the beginning. I rarely bother with a decanter anymore, but it made a difference here. It really is a delicious style of wine–been awhile since I’ve been this “moved” by a pinot.

Cheers!

Great to have these impressions, Billy–glad it showed, I would have indeed thought maybe a touch young, but that could be Bearwallow expressing sooner than e.g. Horseshoe or some of the other vineyards. A 2010 I had in July was fantastic and I am looking forward to picking up my additional bottle in February.

Maluhia,

Mike

Adding to the discussion here, I pulled this bottle yesterday to go alongside some Champagnes. Drank through another glass of this tonight, with a glass leftover for tomorrow to look forward to as I will finish the bottle. I like this, as it portrays some richness, yet has good complexity and spice notes to create something cool.

• 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (7/29/2019)
    We opened this yesterday for an afternoon meal. I kept about a 1/3rd of the bottle as leftover, under cork that I stuffed back in. Retasting now, the wine is coming up from refridge temp to a perfect temp. This is generous in texture, with a good amount of spice in both the aromatics (cinnamon and pepper) and the finish–it’s a dominating presence in the wine. The fruit reminds me of a dark strawberry, along with some red apple, both being framed by the spicy, tangy core with pine needle that wraps it all together. Reminds me a bit of Rivers-Marie Summa Old Vine, too. Delicious now, with a few more years of development ahead, too.

Posted from CellarTracker

I opened a 500 ml of the 2014 last night. It was very good, but still needs 2-3 years to get to where it’s going. Didn’t do a formal note, as I already have several for the 2014 in CellarTracker.

Thanks David—I’ll try to keep my hands off my 2 bottles of the 14 for a couple years.