Coche vs Coche vs Coche

Evening,

Wondering if anyone would be able to provide a (high level) comparison of some of the coche dury reds. Looking for general info on the wines as a whole as opposed to a specific vintage comparison.

Auxey Duresse vs Mersault Rouge vs Volnay

Any info would be appreciated. If there’s a thread that covers this please also let me know.

Cheers.

Lucas

The Meursault Rouge is more chunky / rustic with the Auxey-Duresses in the same register but a bit finer boned; whereas the Volnay wines are more supple and elegant. So pretty much different as you would expect.

Have to agree here, also for these wines Coche is an overachiever, be it that these are not great appellations off course. Tasted the whites and reds from the vintages from 2009-2014. Haven’t tried the 2015 vintage yet but do have a few bottles in stock.

You said it. How about this, the humble Bourgogne Rouge? I don’t score often, but when I do, I am a very tough grader. This was probably about my #5 or 6 WOTY. From a dinner a couple months ago:

"2012 Coche-Dury Bourgogne Rouge

I slow-oxed this the night before. On first opening and tasting, it was already showing superb class but with a very savoury aspect. Not tonight. Tonight is all about head-swimming flowers and red fruit, stuff that I’d be happy to put in a bottle and spritz on myself. Those are matched and even surpassed on the tongue, with pretty much perfect weight and that almost-dreamy sense that comes with the great red burgs. Slices of strawberry, chestnut, cherry, very light earth. Later, baking spices make an appearance in the bouquet. Mesmerizing, revelicious stuff, the only thing I’ve had that I could bring to mind is Rouget, except in more approachable form. 96 for sure."

Better be good Bourgogne at 200 a pop

Loving the responses! Thanks so much.

I recently picked up a 2010 Auxey Duresse and will report back after I try it.

I think I have a 2010 Pommard…
Not sure which vineyard. How would place that wine within these?

I opened a 2010 bourgogne from them two weeks ago and i really disliked it. I think their wines have an odd artificial sweetness to them.

Isn’t focusing on Coche reds rather than the whites a bit like reading the articles in Playboy rather than looking at the photos? [scratch.gif]

lol. Yeah their reds are pretty bleh. I do not make a habit of buying them.

They’re pandering to the Canadian market.

Must be all that icewine we drink up here that makes 'em so attractive to us. neener

Sorry–I stand by my note. And IIRC, I think I picked that up for USD $95 or so in Detroit a couple years ago.

The Ramonet reds are pretty good. But they’re also not $200 for Bourgogne.