The Ultimate. 1997 Arcadian "Sleepy Hollow" PN

1997 Arcadian “Sleepy Hollow” PN - 13.8%
Mature, delicate, light colored garnet red with onion skin throughout.
Great nose of spice, coffee and dried strawberries.
Elegant, feminine, spicy smoked ham entry led to a long, luscious, lipsmackin’ bing cherry finish.
Perfect acid/fruit/structure balance!
This continues to remain my favorite Arcadian Pinot ever.
Definitely in my top three CA Pinots I’ve ever had.
Good examples should last for a few more years. (and possibly improve!)
Bravo to Joe, the King of Sleepy Hollow!!! [worship.gif]
Anyone who is not buying this man’s product is really missing out!
[98 pts]

TTT

Very cool! I will never understand how Joe’s wines are not more popular. He does masterful things with the three main varieties with which he works.

ALL OF THIS!
Joe Davis is the Jedi of Sleepy Hollow! Benchmark wines for me. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

this is awesome…missed out on this bottle…

but the 98 sleepy hollow has been my most memorable arcadian to date.

cheers,

Like the SH Pinots. For anyone curious, the only SHs left at Arcadian are the 2007 Chards. For Pinot, they have Clos Pepe, Pisoni, Francesca, and a random Fiddlestix.

it seems to tick all the boxes to be hip and cool. Dunno why it’s not more popular either. Shrug.

It is something I’ve maintained after a few trips out to Cali—that some vineyards, there are winemakers who are indeed the Jedi Masters. I’ve always felt it was Ed Kurtzman for Rosellas. Always felt it was (for my tastes) Erich Bradley for Sangiacomo. Always felt Londer made the best Keefer. And I’ve always felt Joe to be the master of Pisoni and Sleepy.

The 98 was one of my WOTYs this year, and the 98 Bien Nacido was a WOTY entrant last year.

I have come to the conclusion that Arcadian Pinots are my all-time favorite from CA…

TTT

I think he developed this style of Pinot and chard before it became popular and fashionable. He’s like the Ramones or the Descendents, and then lesser bands like Green Day come along and get rich off the sound they created.

It’s a bummer for Joe, but lucky for smart consumers.

No-brainer “Ditto,” for me. But I’m pretty sure my experience is not nearly as great as most others’. I sincerely believe that whenever the time comes that Joe retires there are going to be a lot of folks who will regret not buying when they had the chance to do so. As for me — I’m not making that mistake.

I had the 1998 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow PN last month at a blind tasting party! It was amazing and holding up nicely.

This 1997 is an excellent wine. The Pisoni from the same year is also fabulous! Great note.