A few Ilans

Opened 2 mazoyeres chambertins and a volnay robardelles from 2012 over the Christmas period. The Mazoyeres were very typical chambertins with plenty of cooked meat, dark fruit and some spice in the mix. Vigorous on the nose and attack but a little too soft, bordering on dilute, on the finish to make them really memorable. Wasn’t sure if they would fill out wth more age or not. Still, very enjoyable now.

Followed up with the volnay robardelles. Drunk over 2 nights. Quite dark coloured and dark fruited for a volnay on the first night. Quite similar to the mazoyeres in many ways. Different beast on the 2nd night, particularly the warmer 1st glass. Explosive nose of sweet perfumed red fruits that really followed through on the palate. Quite impressive. Cooler second glass was more like the first night’s showing. I’d say this could very much be enjoyed now with some air or held for a while.

Thanks for the note. I have enjoyed all the Ilan’s I have opened. I understand the vitriol on this BB for Ray, but its good to separate that from what’s in the bottle.

Thanks for the honest note Dan. I’ve said many times these should only be tasted double blind, just too controversial.

That is just because you got yours…at least you have the option to try them Loren.

Yes, I know. I said I understand the vitriol towards Ray. I think Berserkers has a thread discussing that. This didn’t seem like that thread.

Why even post about these wines given the justifiable heartburn it gives some in this community? It’s like crowing that you got all of your PC futures. Seems unnecessary.

Unbiased tasting notes are ALWAYS necessary…

TTT

I know of people who have picked some MI wines up on the secondary market after reading notes, and have been very happy to have done so.

It’s a useful datapoint. Not discussing the actual wines benefits no-one.

I always found them prohibitively bad qpr compared to renowned vignerons
Just by reading the tasting notes

A whole bunch of us own these wines. It’s still useful data to many. No one needs to open a thread.

Fully agree with Wes (and others who have chimed in on that tenor). I made a long-ish post in the big thread to address my thoughts on the situation. I do have a couple left (11 Mazoyeres and 11 Robardelles) and still value notes. Thanks for posting, Dan, all the best to you and the family in the coming year

Mike

I too lost money, but I appreciate the notes. Gives me hope to drink them down the road.

Not that it should matter at all but if it makes people feel better I also lost a fair whack on wines I paid for and never received.

Sold all mine except three and those will also go. Spilt milk. Done with him long ago.

FWIW, I haven’t felt that any of the 11s (I didn’t get a bottle of the Chambertin) would make older bones, though I’ve had other views presented to me (by Blake Brown, among others, who definitely knows his Burgs). Still, my intention is to finish my last 2 bottles by the end of 2020 at the latest.

Mike

The Chambertin should. With the rest, the good ones would best best in the near term, and the flawed ones should go to old-school deranged Europhile apologists, like some of the folks I tried them with.

LOL, “Europhile apologists” is the best/most apt descriptor ever for Burgophiles.

Love it! [winner.gif] Even if I’m occasionally one of those creatures.