TN: 2013 Laurent Tribut Chablis 1er Cru Beauroy

Not that many notes being posted on the wines of Laurent Tribut’s wines - perhaps due to availability? When it comes to density this does not quite match the wines of Dauvissat and Raveneau but stylistically it reminds me quite a bit of Dauvissat and I easily prefer this over Dauvissat’s village Chablis which I have bought for a fairly similar price. However as Dauvissat’s pricing has increased in the recent years I find the QPR here to be rather awesome if you are looking for oak-aged Chablis.

• 2013 Laurent Tribut Chablis 1er Cru Beauroy - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (5.1.2019)
    PnP, drank from big Burgundy bowls. On the nose there’s the typical tangy lemon note and also some riper fruit like apricot and tangerine. That said it’s the hints of oak and smoke and the absolutely wonderful saline aroma that really gets you. Quite a mouthfeel on this one, it is no lean, mean wine yet there is great tension and structure to it. Really firm with mouth-watering acidity that leads to a salty and a bit spicy finish that seems to go on and on. Remarkably savory and satisfying stuff, a tremendous value compared to the big two.

Posted from CellarTracker

I had the 14 Montmains and wrote this:

On pnp, no reduction. Citrus, acid, alcohol tame, clean, slight sour bite. A lovely wine drinking well now with clear potential. QPR and a rebuy. I am looking forward to trying others from this producer.

Sweet, thanks! I was wondering about the Montmains, have to keep my eyes open for it.

Drank the 2014 Tribut Côte de Lechet last night and it was in keeping with the dozens of bottles of Tribut I’ve drunk over the last decade. A pure style, highly reminiscent of Dauvissat, with density but no overt winemaking signature. This bottle had very nice cut, with a strong umami hit.

I visited his cellar about 12 years ago and if I recall he uses a mix of inox and neutral wood tanks. Wood for the 1er crus I think.

One last “tribute” to Tribut is that I’ve never had a premoxed bottle. Whereas my 07/08/09 Dauvissat has been crushed by premox, esp at the grand cru level. Strangely, the Foret seems to be immune to premox in those vintages, at least IME.

Good to hear. I have a bottle of the 2016 Côte de Léchet and while I’ve understood it to be a lesser vintage (as is 2013 I suppose?) I am looking forward to giving it a go.

The 16 Tribut village was a disappointment; I think we poured it out. Looking forward to opening the 13 Beauroy now. I found these at Vinograf, Ilkka, visiting on your recommendation (!) but think the Beauroy at least is imported to the states.

2016 is a bit better than 2013 - fresher and with less botrytis - but in a similar style. The two are the weakest years of the decade. But Tribut did a nice job in both. Beauroy is near water and thus susceptible to botrytis but the wines seem to integrate it as just a touch of honeyed apricot without becoming too overtly “Alsatian” (a phrase producers use to criticize the 2016s and 2013s).

Thanks a lot for the insight, your contributions are greatly appreciated! Very amusing to hear that the word ‘Alsatian’ is used in such a negative sense - I wonder how the Alsatians themselves feel about it? [wow.gif]

Just opened my first bottle of 16. The nose definitely has an interesting savory and herbaceous element that I didn’t find in the 15 or 14, i guess this is from the botryris? On the palate it has a lot more acidic cut than the 15 but is fuller bodied than the 14. Very good It paired well with a light chicken dish.