‘05 Baumard Quarts De Chaume-Kick Ass!

Screwtop .375
Orangish/ light brassy hue.
Racy boatloads of apricots and Fuji apple; deftly sprinkled with vanilla bean and cinnamon on the nose.
Fine, crisp acidity upholds unctiously round, fleshy tropical elements diverging upon and crashing into petrol…All in a whirlwind of confection in the mouth. Long, grippy, and satisfying. F’ing YUM.
93 pts.

Yes! The last time I had one of these, it really
was great [cheers.gif].

I really liked this more earlier in life…as it’s aged, I’ve become less impressed.

Absolutely love QdC. Haven’t popped an 05 i some time, but sounds like I need to sometime soon. Love the richness and depth of flavor.

Thanks for the note. Reminds me that I am running low on them. Unlike Kirk, I have really enjoyed them with some age. The '96 was singing last year when I opened one. Looks like the tasting notes are mixed on that one though. I hope my remaining bottles are still good. QdC is one of the real bargains in the wine world.

did you drink this just by itself or with food or dessert? I have a bunch of the 05 Baumard QdChaumes

While I know these beauties can age, like you, I prefer them young and fresh.

Cheesecake…or there’s a mango-ginger stilton we can get here that also goes well with these.

These can really blossom with time. I’ve had some examples from the 50’s although can’t be sure that the produce was Baumard. Amazing stuff. Try them with sweet/spicy shrimp for a different take on a dinner starter.

Great with ginger/pear/quince desserts.
Love the spicy shrimp call too.

I still have a few 375s and 750s I think.

A '98 from 375 also showed very well ~18 months ago.

Anyone had the '02 of late? I have a couple of those that I was eyeing on my inventory.

Ended up having some 73 QdC yesterday, bottle was singing and showed beautifully. Nicely resolved, just really tasty stuff.

Three-four years ago, the ‘05 seemed flabby and
Unfocused compared with a bottle last Spring. Variation?
The ‘02 by comparison was leaner, higher acid and more primary, I think it will hold for several years at least.

Too bad the modern iterations of this wine are all spoof / “freezer jam”.

Reference for those with short memories: Jim's Loire: Baumard's frozen 'miracle'