1993 or 1994 Forman Cabernet - which to open now?

Has anyone tried either bottle lately?

Heading to a dinner tomorrow night and obviously want to open whichever is drinking better now.

Thoughts? CT notes seem sort of split.

TIA

We opened a 1993 last Super Bowl and it was perfect, with room to spare but ready to please. Ate it with grilled ribe eyes and baked potatoes and it supplemented the food perfectly. Still well structured, not tired at all. Could still pick out vibrancy in the fruit, but refined. Aces. Supremely well made.

I have not had the 1994 in too long a time to comment.

Agreed on the 1993. Showed beautifully last year. I’m sure the ‘94 will as well

I can’t provide any thoughts one way or the other, but I just couldn’t help thinking about the fact that approx. 50% of CT reviewers think one is ready and the other approx. 50% think it is not ready - especially when we are talking about 24- or 25-year old Cabernet. Now, one vintage was maybe slightly better than the other, but maybe the CT reviewers are split because there is little difference between the two at this stage. In other words, they both drink like an older/aged wine, but there is only personal preference to consider at this point? Not trying to be snarky here and I don’t drink wines much older than about 10-12 years old, so what do I know anyway?? [truce.gif]

We like Forman Cab. Some experience through the years including the 90s. Currently have a few 2010s. 93 is a B year wine for our kid. Have Dalla Valle and Montebello 93 left and have had them in the last couple years.

Whats the point? 94 was a much better year than 93 and the last of the 94s we had suggested they would hold on much better than the 93s. Going with the odds…

Open the 93.

A '95 I opened back in May/June was youthful.

I’d definitely go with the 93.

I don’t think though that it’s a ‘much better’ year than '94. It was just rated higher and we know what that means. 93 to me is extremely underrated, but I don’t think there’s much left because everyone was drinking these young to sit on 91, 92, 94, 95, 96, 97…

This is the logic I would use.

Opened the '94 with T-Bone and Frenchie last year in Lompoc. It ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. If anything it’s just starting to open.

Cris, thanks for the 94 update!

Brent hit 95.

This has been a fun thread!

I have not had either in the last 2-3 years, but always thought the 1994 would have a longer drinking window than the 1993. Both were excellent every time we had them. Enjoy!

Ed

Why don’t you bring them both?

I’d also opt for the 93. I haven’t had the 93 Forman, but I’ve got a decent stash of 93s as it’s the year we got married. The vintage has over exceeded expectations, and is drinking very well. Last year we opened a bunch of 93s during our 25th wedding anniversary party. Beringer, Caymus, Diamond Creek, Arrowood, Dunn and Dalla Valle. All showed very well, with the Caymus being the standout.