Would you take advantage of a winemaking service or experience?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
jpbowgen

Would you take advantage of a winemaking service or experience?

#1 Post by jpbowgen » January 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm

Hi!

Question for the community:

A winemaking service offers you the chance to connect with and control the end-to-end winemaking process, including grape selection, the crush, fermenting, and the blend. At the end of the experience, as a customer, you will have created your own private barrel and bottled cases of your wine with a custom designed label.

If money were not an issue, would you take advantage of this service? Why or why not?

Appreciate any and all perspectives - thank you!

newhere
J.P. Bowgen

"Drinking good wine, with good food, with good company is one of life's most civilized pleasures."

Bdklein

Re: Would you take advantage of a winemaking service or experience?

#2 Post by Bdklein » January 3rd, 2019, 1:33 pm

Yes . Why the heck not.
Bruce Klein

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by mattcitrang » January 3rd, 2019, 2:12 pm

I’d be in too.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 3rd, 2019, 2:31 pm

This is one of the offers of a custom crush facility. I custom crush - my wine venture is way too small for a brick-and-mortar operation. So are many of the sought after wines enjoyed by participants here.

But what is missing in this equation is the farming. You only get the fruit that is harvested. Farming is a HUGE part of the winemaking/enjoying experience. Do you have the experience to taste the fruit that someone has harvested and know that it will make great wine? Or the wine you want?

Matty, Bruce - do you understand the costs involved in this? "Why the heck not" is not an informed response.

Love both you guys, but you need to know what is involved from a cost/expense point of view.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by A. So » January 3rd, 2019, 2:39 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:31 pm
Matty, Bruce - do you understand the costs involved in this? "Why the heck not" is not an informed response.

Love both you guys, but you need to know what is involved from a cost/expense point of view.
jpbowgen wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm
If money were not an issue, would you take advantage of this service? Why or why not?
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 3rd, 2019, 2:42 pm

A. So wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:39 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:31 pm

jpbowgen wrote:
I missed that, my apologies. It was the guy's first post, I think. Happy to talk offline with anyone who is interested in this kind of venture. My direct email is in my signature.
Merrill

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Matthew King » January 3rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

No.

Apple hardware/software allows me to make my own movies.

But I know that Paul Thomas Anderson, for example, makes better movies than I ever could.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by larry schaffer » January 3rd, 2019, 4:36 pm

Been there, done that.

You ever hear of crush Pad?
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Michael Martin » January 3rd, 2019, 4:57 pm

No way. I know folks who have gone down this road and ended up with a lot of crappy wine at the end.

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by ky1em!ttskus » January 3rd, 2019, 5:05 pm

This is already a thing.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by Jim Anderson » January 3rd, 2019, 7:07 pm

If money is no object you could buy an island or fly to the moon or buy the greatest wines in the category of wine you like the most. Not sure I have ever understood the desire to do something that would cost not an insignificant amount and likely be terrible in the end. I guess you could say that taking piano lessons could be expensive and you might always be a terrible piano player so you wasted your money. However at the end you don’t have 290 pianos lying around so that would be different. It would be better to intern at a winery facility like that and gain some modicum of experience and see how it’s done and whether that is something you can retain, learn, mimic and do on your own. Also, making a very small amount of wine is actually harder than making a lot of wine. We would never (or extremely rarely) ferment grapes in a quantity that would yield 1 barrel. It’s hard to do well. We’ve done and made great wine and we’ve done and made okay wine. I’ve seen people with not much experience make some really nasty stuff in 60 gallon lots. Not trying to be all “I am a professional and only pros can do it” but honestly it’s not easy (especially if you really are just doing it for the first time on a lark) and the results are not likely to be so satisfying that you will enjoy it 290 times later.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mike Maguire » January 3rd, 2019, 7:21 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 4:36 pm
Been there, done that.

You ever hear of crush Pad?
We did this for the 05 and 06 vintage with Syrah grapes from Thompson Vineyard and Cab from a vineyard we were sworn to secrecy to protect the source. We had a consulting winemaker from Crushpad to help with the process.The wines turned out fabulous.All in the Syrah was about $30 a bottle and the Cab around $40.It was fun but I would never do it for a living, my appreciation and respect for winemaking made a quantum leap. [cheers.gif]

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Mel Knox » January 3rd, 2019, 7:32 pm

If money were not an issue I'd buy a machine that made me forty years younger. In the meantime let me say a few words about Crushpad. Friends of mine invested and this did not turn out well.

1/People discover how hard it is to drink 10 cases of wine. The people who made wine with the idea of going big time?? I don t know what happened to them.
2/The internet made it easy for people to participate and easy for them to stop doing it. If there had been a dedicated sales force maybe it would have survived the 2008 /2009 recession.
3/Maybe they bit off more than they could do. You could make pinot noir from Oregon, and about five regions in California and use one third, one half and 100% new oak barrels. They had new barrels re configured with used staves ! Then there was cabernet and merlot from Washington state and three or four regions in California.
Of course, they made white wines too. The only choice not available to the customer was when to pick. Minor detail!
4/I have no idea how the wines, fermented in little bins, turned out.

I am not sure exactly what JP is considering. It does remind me of a wine and cheese store owner who had the idea that people would pay him to work in his tasting room and stock his shelves so they could learn about wine and experience the great wines of the world. Of course, Jim is right that apprenticing to somebody who actually knows what to do is a good start. A friend of mine became an expert at installing wallpaper all on his own. The first five attempts were disasters, then he got better and better ...I asked him why he didn't take lessons or something like that and he kinda looked at me as if to say, I never thought of that.
Last edited by Mel Knox on January 5th, 2019, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Wes Barton » January 4th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Funny. *Both* wineries I've seen offering a pink Chardonnay also advertised custom crush services. One of them had advertised custom crush to do along with their very own first vintage! (*That's pink from leeching out color from a barrel previously used for red wine.)

Anyway, there's no shortage of mediocre options out there. Issues raised above. But, there are some excellent options, too. As Merrill noted, some of the board favorites are custom crush.

The scale of Crush Pad was insane! That alone made it unsustainable. It was a fad to do, creating a boom, but people burnt out after a few vintages. These can certainly be commercial wines, which you can sell. But, selling wine is a pain in the ass. More so when all the wine buyers could smell a Crush Pad wine a mile away, knowing there were a hundred Pinots from there that were essentially the same wine, that would sit on a shelf and not sell. If I heard it right, they peaked at 125-130 employees and made over 1000 wines.
ITB - Useless lackey

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Matthew King wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 2:52 pm
No.

But I know that Paul Thomas Anderson, for example, makes better movies than I ever could.
LOL this was exactly my response. I already suck at so many things, I am not in search of new things to suck at. Especially ones that cost a lot of money. This is why I can't even imagine playing golf.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Wes Barton » January 4th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm
Matthew King wrote:
No.

LOL this was exactly my response. I already suck at so many things, I am not in search of new things to suck at. Especially ones that cost a lot of money. This is why I can't even imagine playing golf.
The question being asked is about paying someone else to do that job, with a few token choices for you to make, so you can delude yourself that you're controlling the process, when you're really just ordering from a menu. The OP looks like it was lifted from a sales spiel to that effect. But, at best, the equivalent is to being a movie producer, not a director.
ITB - Useless lackey

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 4th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 1:59 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Matthew King wrote:
No.

The question being asked is about paying someone else to do that job, with a few token choices for you to make, so you can delude yourself that you're controlling the process, when you're really just ordering from a menu. The OP looks like it was lifted from a sales spiel to that effect. But, at best, the equivalent is to being a movie producer, not a director.
Not how I read it. "A winemaking service offers you the chance to connect with and control the end-to-end winemaking process, including grape selection, the crush, fermenting, and the blend." Control end-to-end.

But it doesn't matter. No interest. Not even a little.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Michael O'Brien » January 4th, 2019, 2:14 pm

If you are an old world fan and money is NO object https://vinivbordeaux.com/en/about-viniv/

https://vinivbordeaux.com/en/press/
PlanoWino

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Doug Schulman » January 4th, 2019, 3:13 pm

If I could afford to do something like that, I would buy better wine than I do and more of it. I would definitely not do the custom crush thing. The reasons have all been mentioned in other posts. And yes, this has been an existing and fairly widespread business model for quite some time. I think there are reasons no one has had huge success with it.
ITB - retail sales and education

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Mike Maguire » January 4th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Not how I read it. "A winemaking service offers you the chance to connect with and control the end-to-end winemaking process, including grape selection, the crush, fermenting, and the blend." Control end-to-end.

[/quote]

That is how it worked for our group at crushpad.Grapes were priced per ton depending on the source and availability.We had 10 people involved with 2 living in close proximity to Napa, and one with previous winemaking experience so we were very involved as a group.As with most groups the thrill was gone after a couple years.The wines we made are still drinking great to this day.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#21 Post by Merrill Lindquist » January 4th, 2019, 4:03 pm

I think perhaps there is more than one model of "custom crush." I think that was Crush Pad's only thing, i.e., they did not have the winery making their own well-distributed label. Many of the wineries that make their own wines allow others to custom crush at their facility. I have been making Black Cat at Judd's Hill winery for 19 years. At 150-200 cases annually, I could never afford my own brick and mortar winery. I don't oversee the chemistry (fermentation) and I don't do the racking. Everything else, from growing/ picking/sorting/delivering the fruit to the winery, to barrel purchasing, to label design, blending, and bottling is my responsibility. Of course I use their experienced cellar staff to do the filtering and some heavy stuff, but I control when we do it, and am there every step of the way. They know their jobs, and I know how I want my product. And if you have not worked on a bottling line, you just haven't lived!
Merrill

Ed Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Ed Cooper » January 4th, 2019, 4:29 pm

We have a very small (230 vines) vineyard at our house in Healdsburg near Limerick Lane. We have been looking for a service to help us produce wine from those grapes but haven’t found anything that operates at that scale (what would that be, maybe 30 cases?). So yes I might be interested but of course price would be an object.

GregT

#23 Post by GregT » January 4th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I think the OP was selling a venture, or considering it, but maybe not. Otherwise it's a weird first time question.

I can see people wanting to do it and know people who became proficient wine makers as a result of their desire to do it themselves. But that's true for everything isn't it? You can go out to eat, or you can cook, or you can tell the chef to fry the onions, steam the broccoli, grill the meat, and call it your own. All of those can be OK and the learning experience may be a wonderful thing.

So what he's described is pretty much what the celebrity wine makers do isn't it? Except that they have someone who knows what he's doing give them some advice. Otherwise, John Legend, Mike Ditka, Drew Barrymore, Greg Norman, etc. wouldn't have any wine out.
G . T a t a r

Marc Hauser

#24 Post by Marc Hauser » January 4th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:03 pm
I think perhaps there is more than one model of "custom crush." I think that was Crush Pad's only thing, i.e., they did not have the winery making their own well-distributed label. Many of the wineries that make their own wines allow others to custom crush at their facility. I have been making Black Cat at Judd's Hill winery for 19 years. At 150-200 cases annually, I could never afford my own brick and mortar winery. I don't oversee the chemistry (fermentation) and I don't do the racking. Everything else, from growing/ picking/sorting/delivering the fruit to the winery, to barrel purchasing, to label design, blending, and bottling is my responsibility. Of course I use their experienced cellar staff to do the filtering and some heavy stuff, but I control when we do it, and am there every step of the way. They know their jobs, and I know how I want my product. And if you have not worked on a bottling line, you just haven't lived!
Merrill, agreed, there’s more than one flavor, but I think most custom crush facilities tend to be b2b, while, from what I recall/understand, CrushPad more targeted enthusiasts. Now, some custom crush places will crush for enthusiasts (a dollar is a dollar), but for the most part they’re not pushing that part of the business.
ITB-ish (unfrozen caveman wine and cannabis lawyer)

Markus S

#25 Post by Markus S » January 4th, 2019, 5:42 pm

No. Why would I? I can buy wines from stores that sell stories!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Wes Barton » January 4th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

What's the service, then? The spiel is throwing out an array of enticements. What the reality is depends on the particular facility. If they were just offering an alternating proprietorship, you wouldn't see that sort of sales spiel, which is aimed at enticing you to dip you toe in the water. You'd already be in and just looking for the right facility. I'm reading between the lines because I know many winemakers who do custom crush and am friends with a couple of the main guys from Crush Pad. You don't "control" "grape selection" if you're going out and sourcing your grapes. That wording means you're being offered a list of THEIR sources to order from. "The blend" makes me think of celebrity wines. They go through the tasting and blending ritual and proclaim themselves winemakers, when what they are choosing from is already made wine at the facility. They're offering you hand holding while pumping up your ego. Them doing everything for you is always an option. Beyond that, it depends.
ITB - Useless lackey

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Wes Barton » January 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Ed Cooper wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:29 pm
We have a very small (230 vines) vineyard at our house in Healdsburg near Limerick Lane. We have been looking for a service to help us produce wine from those grapes but haven’t found anything that operates at that scale (what would that be, maybe 30 cases?). So yes I might be interested but of course price would be an object.
What I've seen work is finding a young up-and-coming assistant winemaker who's at a place that allows them to make their own wine. They're out there. Something to play with that they're in charge of may be enticing. Them having a mentor right there to lean on can ease your mind a bit. (But, don't expect to be able to touch your own grapes or wine in the facility.)
ITB - Useless lackey

Al Osterheld

#28 Post by Al Osterheld » January 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm

As I read the original post, "if money were not an issue" just means setting aside the cost, how much interest is there in a service that helps you make a barrel of wine "yourself" with their help on the infrastructure and actual grungy bits. After all, anyone with an unlimited amount of money for such a dream could just start their own winery and would not need a service.

So, I think it's a question to gauge market interest. At some level, this is pretty similar to Crushpad except that I think this is more aimed at people or groups interested in making a wine for personal consumption than for retail.

-Al

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#29 Post by Robert M yers » January 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Didn’t one of the earlier wine boards do this as a group? Can’t remember if it was eRP or wino-depot?

Sean Malloy
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Sean Malloy » January 5th, 2019, 5:47 am

Al Osterheld wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm
As I read the original post, "if money were not an issue" just means setting aside the cost, how much interest is there in a service that helps you make a barrel of wine "yourself" with their help on the infrastructure and actual grungy bits. After all, anyone with an unlimited amount of money for such a dream could just start their own winery and would not need a service.

So, I think it's a question to gauge market interest. At some level, this is pretty similar to Crushpad except that I think this is more aimed at people or groups interested in making a wine for personal consumption than for retail.

-Al
This. If money were not an issue, I would buy a vineyard or enter into a real commercial contract to buy grapes from a great grower, buy or build a winery, and hire a really good staff, winemaker included. Then I would shadow that winemaker for a few years and maybe after that try some on my own.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by alan weinberg » January 5th, 2019, 11:20 am

no. Leave it to experts.

We used to tease about creating a do it yourself step by step home vasectomy kit and making millions. But we are a bit twisted.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Howard Cooper » January 5th, 2019, 11:38 am

jpbowgen wrote:
Hi!

A winemaking service offers you the chance to connect with and control the end-to-end winemaking process, including grape selection, the crush, fermenting, and the blend. At the end of the experience, as a customer, you will have created your own private barrel and bottled cases of your wine with a custom designed label.

newhere
No. I already have too many producers from whom I wish to buy wines. Unless I am getting grapes from la Tache or Romanee Conti, I don't see the point. Seens like a gimmick for overpriced wines from mediocre terroir.

Frankly, if money were no object, I would buy a grand cru vineyard in Burgundy (actually two, one red and one white), lease it to top producers and get part of my payment in wine.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Howard Cooper » January 5th, 2019, 11:42 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

What does grape selection mean? Can I select grapes from old vines in Musigny farmed by Mugnier or Roumier and then get them to make the wine for me?

To be honest, the closest to some of this that would seem to be fun would be to go to Beaune, attend the Hospice de Beaune auction, buy a barrel of unfinished wine (presumably that you have tasted samples from) and hire someone really good to finish the wine for you (probably would want to arrange this first).
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Mel Knox » January 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm

For somebody who is a little crazy about wine but knows little about the practicalities of making it, this idea might just be the ticket. Let's say you work in a city close to a wine region. Portland, San Francisco, and LA come to mind. On Saturdays you work in the vineyard or in the cellar, and help at harvest. You pay X amount of money and you get wine with your own label. At the end of the day you have learned a lot. Part of the agreement is that you not become a commercial winemaker until you have completed the wine selling apprenticeship.
ITB

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Wes Barton » January 5th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 11:42 am
What does grape selection mean?
It means the custom crush facility buys grapes from several vineyards. Their clients then select what they'd like made for them from that menu. You know... "control".
ITB - Useless lackey

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by lleichtman » January 5th, 2019, 6:09 pm

jpbowgen wrote:
Hi!

newhere
toi
Worked with Gary Vaynerchuck when he did this with 2007 fruit. It was an OK experience and the wine was only OK. Didn't have any lasting power and was essentially dead at 5 years. So, would I do it again. Probably not. I went to the crush tasted the fruit that was going in but I don't know enough to make these judgements.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by lleichtman » January 5th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Oh, and it was a Cabernet Sauvignon and it was at Crushpad.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by lleichtman » January 5th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm
Didn’t one of the earlier wine boards do this as a group? Can’t remember if it was eRP or wino-depot?
Yep, Gary Vaynerchuck. Some of us did more than others. I was intimately involved in the project. Met Gary on his wine cruise and offered to help.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#39 Post by Todd Hamina » January 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Sign me up.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Al Osterheld

#40 Post by Al Osterheld » January 5th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Surely you know better than to get involved in winemaking.

-Al

Sean Devaney

#41 Post by Sean Devaney » January 6th, 2019, 9:08 am

lleichtman wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 6:12 pm
Robert M yers wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm
Yep, Gary Vaynerchuck. Some of us did more than others. I was intimately involved in the project. Met Gary on his wine cruise and offered to help.
IIRC westcoastwine.net also did this one year to make a Pinot. Greg La Follette was the winemaker and produced the wine from his facility.

Al Osterheld

#42 Post by Al Osterheld » January 6th, 2019, 9:59 am

They did a bunch of different wines, the project was called Colloquy, and I think all the wines were 2001. Varieties include Pinot Noir, Syrah, Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon (may have only been used in blends). There were several different variations, eg, different oak and clonal variations with the Pinot, different oak treatments with Syrah, several Tuscan-style blends with the Sangiovese, Cab, Syrah.

-Al

GregP

#43 Post by GregP » January 11th, 2019, 12:23 pm

lleichtman wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 6:09 pm
jpbowgen wrote:
Hi!

newhere
toi
Worked with Gary Vaynerchuck when he did this with 2007 fruit. It was an OK experience and the wine was only OK. Didn't have any lasting power and was essentially dead at 5 years. So, would I do it again. Probably not. I went to the crush tasted the fruit that was going in but I don't know enough to make these judgements.
Gary wanted me to make wine for his label at the time, he asked us to buy fruit, Syrah from Las Madres vineyard, which we worked with at the time. We bought and paid for fruit, barrels, etc, ourselves. Then had, hmmm..., OK, let's call it a falling out for now, to put it mildly. Gary never paid for anything, to make the story short. Sounds like he cut too many corners trying to replace us.

---

As already pointed out, custom crush can be, and is, many different things to people. For some, being small, its the only way to make wine, and one really needs to be involved at each and every step to make end product shine.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Return to “Wine Talk”