Retailer Check: Blacksmith Fine Wines (Nelsonville, NY)

Can’t find any info on them. Old & rare. Any experience?

This looks like an incredible private collection being monetized at retail. I have to say, very, very few stores have this kind of collection, both range and quality. Prices are about low to mid retail. No bargains, and it looks like someone who bought well, and will make decent money selling.

I am familiar with the owner.
It is someone that I have purchased from in the past prior to his online operation, and would continue to purchase from again if the situation arose.

I stumbled upon them on Wine Searcher a few weeks ago. I was wondering the same thing about them, Great collection with some good to average prices for what I was looking for. I am tempted to order a few things.

Great list, diverse, and value priced.

Love the ambiance, presentation and NO b/s, rope a dope jabber so many sites embrace today.

Obviously, a well cared for/selected collection with passion and discernment.

Another one I enjoy is this:

http://www.vinoptimo.com/en/

Two unique sites!

Is the location available to visit or pick up from?

I stumbled upon them last night when I was on WineSearcher looking for a 2006 Brunello…Alas, when I looked at their inventory they only had one bottle available, so it was not really worth it to me to purchase and ship, but the price was great. I’ll keep my eye out on them to see if they get anything additional that grabs my attention

They purchase mainly from private collections and they have a physical location. For online orders, this would be in the camp of slow-to-confirm orders. I have not purchased in past, but came across them when they listed on Winesearcher in December.

Purchased 6 bottles from them recently. Clean transaction, will purchase from them again.

100% vote of confidence. Great people, excellent goods. Don’t hesitate.

Having said that, don’t expect instantaneous responses. Small scale operation. If the delay will annoy you, look elsewhere.

Wasn’t previously aware of these guys, looks like Nelsonville only a relatively short drive from Peter, is in Putnam County

Very smooth transaction. Purchase with confidence.

I ordered a couple of respectable birth year wines for one of my daughters, and that transaction went exactly as expected - in fact, they were delivered ahead of other wines purchased from another east coast retailer the same day. I was delighted to find the bottles I ordered. I ended up with an inexplicable erroneous charge (pretty substantial) on my card, but Mark and Kristie worked with the CC processor and got it cleared up in a few days. Now looking forward to the drinking part.

I’ve had a few transactions with them lately and wouldn’t recommend buying from them.

Of 5 orders I’ve attempted to place, only one was successfully fulfilled. The first, which I responded to an email offer didn’t even get a response.

I was then successfully able to place an order for a couple bottles of Lignier MSD 1er VV for decent price, but was charged $40 for cc processing and shipping which made the price a bit less attractive.

The next 3 orders I placed which showed up as in stock on their website had at least one if not all of the items I placed not being in stock or promised to another purchaser.

Their prices are sometimes good but once you add the high shipping costs, gratituous credit card processing fee, and shipping insurance, it’s not so attractive. That being said, the online inventory issues seem endemic and I will no longer be purchasing from them.

Yeah I can’t say I’ve experienced anything different Michael. I decline the shipping insurance though.

I have purchased from them in the past. A few odd bottles were not fulfilled, but I was told promptly; I don’t believe these were mispriced wines that like other retailes renege on. FWIW, the new online interface is so much better than emailing them in the past regarding inventory availability. Recently, they would not accept a return of a massively corked bottle and the CC fees at check out are annoying. Despite this, they have a good selection that I turned to when looking to put together a high end case for a friend. Shipping was prompt and outside of the one corked bottle, I found the bottle condition to be really high across the 2-3 cases I have ordered from them over the years. If pricing was the same elsewhere, I would go with a retailer who offered returns on corked bottles… but I have had other retailers not accept returns of corked bottles as well with more condescending experiences.

I’ve bought from them number of times and they all been good, but I agree with the cc fee. Not sure why they are charging such a high fee.

Made my first order from Blacksmith last week. Ordered early in the week and had the wines in-stock status confirmed the next day and the wines delivered to Texas by Friday via 2-day. Haven’t opened one yet but the wines look great and were priced fair. I ordered 2 2012 Cheval Blanc, 2 2001 Haut Brion, 2 2014 LMHB. Thumbs up.

I’ve had only 1 interaction from them on an order, very unpleasant experience…+ rude.

That’s surprising to hear-especially how they were rude. Care to elaborate?