TN: FreddyWillyGym TrittenheimerAltarchen BA '76...(short/boring)

Wanted something special to share w/ Susan’s son, so pulled out from the archives:

1. Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium Riesling TrittenheimerAltarchen Beerenauslese (QmP; A.P.Nr. 3 561 024 17 77; EA; GoldeneKammerpreismunze) Trier/Mosel 1976: Tons of tartrate crystals in the bottom; cork is solid and comes out intact w/ AhSo; deep golden/burnished bronze color; beautiful intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty rather caramel/butterscotch/creme brulee slight herbal/earthy slight pencilly/cedary rather complex nose; fairly tart off-dry intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty caramel/creme brulee some pencilly/cedary bit earthy some rich/lush fairly complex flavor; very long/lingering intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty/ripe juicy peach that runs down your chin off-dry bit tangy slight pencilly/cedary strong creme brulee/caramel very complex finish that goes on & on; a beautiful fully-mature complex Mosel BA.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. My recollect was that I’d paid something like $30/750 ml for this. No idea what it’s worth now, though.
    The color was surprisingly light for a 40+ yr old BA. Most Calif BA’s/TBA’s this age would be the color of PX/40-wgt motor oil. I suspect this color was because of the higher levels of SO2 German Rieslings typically have.
    Though the wine showed a good level of complexity, it was pretty much dominated by the botrytis. I recall 40-yr old Mosel Spatlese/Auslese showing much more complexity than this BA showed. Still…pretty amazing stuff.
    This BA was delicious w/ a Panettone w/ Butterscotch CremeAnglais.
    Tom