Linden Hardscrabble Chardonnay 2008 and 2009

Opened both the 2008 and 2009 Linden Hardscrabble Chardonnay last night and was really impressed. I don’t have much experience with Chardonnay with much age so not sure how these would stack up against other examples of similar age. The wines were more similar than different showing the same flavor profile with the 2008 the bigger wine all around, more fruit, more body, and more acid. The 2009 was lighter and perfectly balanced. Neither showed any signs of oxidation or that they were getting OTH. As much as I like these wines young these were a big step up and a welcome surprise as I wasn’t sure how well they would age. Based on these bottles, it would seem like they still have years ahead of them.

Very short list of Virginia wines-reds or whites- with the track record of Hardscrabble Chard. If you get the chance, try the Early Mountain Quaker Run Chard. A bit more fruit now, but one that’s built with Hardscrabble in mind wrt cellar potential. Ankida Ridge has some of that potential as well, but their vines are younger iirc