Can You Ever Forgive Me

Can You Ever Forgive Me is the title of a movie that made me think of Hardy Rodentstock and our fave, Rudy the K.It is very much based on a true story about a woman named Lee Israel.
In it, a grumpy alcoholic writer of show business biographies steals and then forges letters written by famous show business personalities like Noel Coward.

In the end, she gets caught…but not before she disposes of all the vintage typewriters and other bits of evidence. She is sentenced to five years probation and a series of meetings with the folks at AA. No jail time. She writes a best selling tell all story that gets a great reviews from the NY Times. We see a scene in which a dealer shows Lee one of her own forgeries…When she tells him it’s something she wrote,via a forged letter from the dead author, he does nothing.Hmm, sound familiar?? Other letters are incorporated into biographies.

I wonder if Rudy has seen this movie in the big house and what he thinks…how come I’m here and she went to rehab??

Serious question. Did you like it? It’s at the indie theater next to our condo in Minneapolis, and was thinking of going.

Great role for Melissa McCarthy.

I saw this and thought it was just meh, although she (and richard grant) were very good. I was sort of surprised that I didn’t like it more.

Sorry about the duplicate post. Tried to delete but unsuccessful

I thought it was a good movie. When comedians play serious roles, sometimes it’s hard to suspend the disbelief. It should be out in some kind of video form soon.

My point was the parallel between this story and that of our good buddy Rudy the K.

Did she sell them or take money for them by passing them off as real? It is interesting - Clifford Irving got jail time for his hoax and then he published a book about that. I wonder if Rudy will publish a book about his dealings.