TNs: Raffault, Dehlinger, Rossignol, Anthill, Cavalloto and William & Mary

Had a dinner party last night that left me on puppy duty a good part of the night. We got a new pup this week, a bright light for our lives now but challenging in that I forgot how hard the work is to help the new guy get adapted. He’s part of our family and so while he is sleeping this afternoon, it gave me time to taste all the reds (most of them, although a Rhys Swan Terrace and Rivers-Marie Summa OV went home with the birthday boy, Cris Whetstone). Aside from missing those bottles, I believe I have captured all the other still reds that were left behind. Gotta say, of all these below, the Dehlinger is my best of the six, and I really enjoy it. At 8 years old, it shows a vivid, pure fruited, jammy quality that just gets me. Thanks for reading and to all the Berserkers, happy holidays and new year. Remember, appreciate what you have, appreciate those around you that care about you and tell them how much they mean to you. We can always have wine, but we must me reminded to reach out and thank those who are good to us, our best friends. These are the people who make our lives joyful (and new puppies, too). champagne.gif

• 1982 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (12/30/2018)
    Opened last night, and is enough left for a decent pour this afternoon to write a TN and see what’s here. Has the Cab Franc aromatic of bell pepper/herbals. This has softened up, and while the structure is pretty well integrated, it offers a mix of red fruits, saddle leather and some light tang. For a 36 year old wine, this is hanging together nicely. Reminds me I should open some of my Baudry in 2019 and revisit some of my red Loire, as I do like the flavors and aromas it creates for me.
  • 2010 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Comptche Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (12/30/2018)
    This was opened last night, there was enough left for a good size taste. Little murky in color, maybe a little browning on the edges, too. The core of this spicy and tangy, almost pungent toned. This all wraps around soft red fruits, like a strawberry with some red apple. It closes with a loamy, piney finish that is tangy. From what I recall about Anthill Farms, stems were in the approach and they certainly show here. This is CA Pinot for the cerebral, as it makes you think and flips on my senses.
  • 2010 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Altamont - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (12/30/2018)
    Opened last night, sitting out all night without even the cork in the bottle that held the last 5-6 ounces. So, plenty of aeration. The aromatic to this is all about fresh berry, kind of Zinfandel-like ala Carlisle RRV. Poured and tasted this next to the 2010 Anthill Farms Comptche Ridge, my mood tonight prefers this Dehlinger. The fruit is more round and pure, forward but not candied. It just pleasure. A bit of clove, raspberry jam and some licorice/spice into the finish that is lively and bright with acidity. This is a solid mix of fruit and acid that works for me. Delicious.
  • 2011 Nicolas Rossignol Volnay 1er Cru Santenots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (12/30/2018)
    Opened last night for a dinner party, simply left under cork on the counter. Some funk in the aromatic, with a creamier texture and red hard cherry candy. Some mushroom and herbal tang shows up in the finish, that has good length and structure. Like the Anthill Farms Comptche pinot I tasted tonight, this Rossignol makes me think.
  • 2015 Cavallotto Langhe Freisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (12/30/2018)
    Opened last night, just a few ounces remain today. Never had Freisa before. Some rose petal aromas, Reminds me of a cross between strawberry and minerals, colliding together. Medium weight, vivid fruit and good structure in the finish. I could see buying some of this and enjoying it when I wanted something to lift my mood and bring me a smile. Nice stuff.
  • 2016 William & Mary Proprietary Red Shifflett Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District (12/29/2018)
    Have not tasted this since the winery visit to see Will this past July, Opened tonight six hours ahead of the meal in order to get some air into it. Composing my note here with no food paired with the wine, and the only thing I am tasting right now. I really like this, as the core of this wine is blessed with terrific acidity, soil and a deep core of red fruit that is tangy and intense. There is an irony quality to the wine that frames the core. What is absent here, and the same quality I noted this past July, is oak and a thick, dark flavors. Truly, none of that here. Lots more air this will see before I serve it to a # of smart palates, wrapped in a bag so it will be blind poured, too. The best way to get a real perception without the bias. For what this wine shows now, it’s delicious…over dinner when we served this blind, some comments about oak came into the discussion. Some wood did seem to blossom as the wine aired for the hours after I opened it, and yet I didn’t find the oak out of context nor the ripeness levels to be different than my original impression from when I first opened it. I very much dig this wine…as a final comment, there was some leftover in the bottle from last night so I poured what was left and gave it a go. The oak seems to have diffused nicely into the wine, adding a touch of vanilla bean to the flavors. It also allows the fruit to become a little creamier, with a core of red fruit now seeming more accessible, too.

Posted from CellarTracker

No green notes in the Rossignol? I’ve never had an 11 but that’s one of my favorite producers. Santenots is an interesting vineyard too.

Nicely done, Frank!

That ‘82 Raffault, in 1996, sparked my love for the region.

Nice notes Frank…

What breed of Pup did you get? We got our new Boxer puppy Nellie last Spring after our beloved Boxer Gracie died suddenly in May. It’s a lot of work but so worth it…She is now my constant companion

I bought 6 bottles of the William & Mary Proprietary Red, but have not tried a bottle yet. Your note makes me want to pop a bottle sooner than later…

Happy New Year to you

Shelty
20181229_174816_HDR.jpg

You have to remember his size makes it a challenge to fetch full Champagne bottles, so start him on half bottles or even splits.

Shelties are the best!! Something else Frank and I have in common. champagne.gif

Thanks to the Murrays for hosting a fun night. Refer to Jay’s Champagne thread for the starters of the night.

2015 Cavallotto Langhe Freisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
Tart cherry, bright acidity, tasted like neb to me but the color didn’t match. Fun blind wine.

2016 William & Mary Proprietary Red Shifflett Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oak Knoll District
Totally whiffed on this one as I called it Zin blind. I thought it more on the dark red spectrum than purple, with bits of black pepper. The oak treatment seemed to fit for me. New world in flavor but didn’t feel heavy handed.

2010 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Comptche Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County
2010 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Altamont - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
I recently purchased the Anthill from Chris Seiber for his charity post so it was fun to share with the group. The Dehlinger was from Envoyer. It’s a wine I’ve been wanting to try (I think I remember Todd singing it’s praises) and I figured RRV was in my wife’s wheel house. Both were very typical to where they were from, with the Anthill being cooler climate, light red fruits and the Dehlinger showing more rich darker red fruit. Both are fruity CA PN style compared to Kutch or Rhys which I find tends to be more savory. I think the Dehlinger had more depth and complexity but the Anthill is the style of wine I enjoy with food lately.

1982 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon
I think Cris and Fiona could see the smile on my face when I popped the squeaky/sound cork at the beginning of the evening and had a small taste. Beautiful nose of tobacco and saddle/leather. The fruit was very fresh, vibrant and pure. I didn’t get as much of that autumnal/forest floor compared to the few older Bordeaux I’ve had. Very happy that the wine showed well.

2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace
2007 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Old Vines Summa
I called savory CA PN for the Rhys and fruity CA PN for the RM. Both drinking really well and beautiful for different reasons. I mentioned to Cris that I’ve really been enjoying wines from Santa Cruz Mtns (Mount Eden and Rhys particularly). Was fun to taste the RM old vine summa and compare my recollections to the bottle Frank shared last year (forgot the vintage though).

2011 Nicolas Rossignol Volnay 1er Cru Santenots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru
I think the wine would have shown much better if it was served earlier in the night with the coq au vin. After all the CA PN this wine seemed a bit high acid and tannic. Less ripe compared to the CA PN. I had a hard time placing it but by now my palate was probably not very fresh.

Finally home and settled back in. Thanks again for putting this together Frank. The wines were fun, but what I enjoyed the most about the night were the people, food and conversation. A really nice group of people. Thanks again guys.

My notes were pretty brief, but here were my impressions:

15 Cavallotto Freisa - I enjoyed this wine. I narrowed it down to Nebbiolo or possibly Nerello Mascalese but seemed like it must be Nebbiolo. Fun to try in a blind setting.

16 William and Mary - A bigger wine than we are used to drinking. It is plush but with good acidity. For my tastes, this would be better with some age. Some chocolate notes. Guessed Merlot.

10 Anthill Farms - This and the Rhys were my favorite Pinots. Restrained, lighter bodied, slightly tart with some earthy notes. Guessed Burgundy.

10 Dehlinger Pinot - Ripe Cherry fruit. Guessed Napa Pinot. On the bigger and riper side for our tastes.

82 Olga Raffault - Nice wine with lots of green bell pepper and earthy/leather notes. Bright acidity and lively. Thought there had to be Cab Franc in this and was thinking Bordeaux. Couldn’t be right bank so guessed left bank. Enjoyed this one a lot.

07 Rhys Swan Terrace - I liked this one. Like the Anthill, this was more restrained and lighter. Guessed Burgundy.

07 Rivers Marie - Smells so familiar. I was thinking this could be a Williams Selyem or maybe Sandler. Fruity and fairly rich. Also on the bigger side for my taste. Guessed Pinot.

11 Rossignol - No green notes but this came across as very acidic and hard after the previous Pinot’s. Might have been better in a different order, but this seemed leaner and harder than I remember the last bottle that we enjoyed.