Why doesn’t Liebfraumilch impress me...ever?

I have yet to find my “holy hell” moment with these. Maybe someone could point me in the direction of one that will.

[snort.gif]

Do I detect a sarcastical motive here?

You might want to try some Zeller Schwarze Katz.

neener

Kids today.

Looks like I started this thread too early. What I meant to say is you can all kiss my German, Jewish, Irish, Dutch ass.

I remember when it was 99 cents a bottle in college and one step above Blue Nun. Someone found this really good German wine that cost 20 cents more. We splurged and got the Moselblumchen and never looked back.

Is this where someone says it’s dead in retail?

I’ll split a 2-pk of mags with someone if it is available at Binny’s

Try Mateus.

This.

We geezers who were drinking wine in the 70s understand the natural progression. I just cannot remember if it was from Mateus or to Mateus. newhere

From. The problem with that was they made the “bottle” non see-through so you never knew what was in it. Hearty Burgundy was a better buy.

Y’all can scoff all you want, but more than 50 years ago, I first learned about vintage differences by noting the decline in quality of one vintage Liebfraumilch compared to the previous. I was years from being able to drink legally in the US at that time.

To OP: wrong philosophical standpoint.

Does anyone know the dosage on Cold Duck?

Well, the Liebfrauenstift version is very good!

If this question is meant seriously:
Liebfrauenmilch today is only a trade mark, produced from a variety of grapes coming from a very large region and mainly for export, faily sweet and commercial.
If you´d like to try the “real” thing: in the 18th + 19th century the Liebfrauenmilch was only produced from grapes grown “as far as the shadow of the Liebfrauen-church in Worms reached”. Today this is
„Wormser Liebfrauenstift-Kirchenstück“ - 17 ha - produced by Gutzler, Schembs, Spohr and Valckenberg …
(info from wikipedia.de …)

I think I´ve only tasted it once (Gutzler) vintage I think was 2007, but that was 8-9 years ago. It was ok, but nothing special …

I know we’re in a “poking fun at other threads” mode here, but it does seem that the cabernet thread from whence this spawned is a lot more legit than the “Burgundy is dead at retail” which inspired the others.

It’s threads like this that make the ‘Wine Talk’ page the one I visit the least.

It’s people without a sense of humor who make the politics forum so enticing.

But here you are.