TN: 2016 Domaine Bachelet-Monnot Puligny-Montrachet

This note isn’t really going to do the wine justice…I just started typing after pouring a small taste and this is what poured out. I am SO excited about this wine…and can’t tell you how happy I am with this. I’ll be buying this every year until I can’t find it anymore like PYCM or Keller. This is so damn exciting I just ordered a Lobster Roll for a late lunch instead of the lamb meatballs I planned to make…

• 2016 Domaine Bachelet-Monnot Puligny-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (12/29/2018)
    This has it…that struck-match smell that I find in all the Chardonnays I love followed by a hint of smoke, pear, and green apple notes that linger. The palate is lean and acid driven with a hint of juicy-fruit bubble gum just as the mid palate transitions into rounding out with real restraint and poise just as the oak steps in creating a framework for the wine. This is a lovely effort that is medium bodied, with high acidity, vibrant fruit, and a lingering note of mineral & chalk that is lovely. The wine seems like it’s going to get a little “showy” at the mid-palate and then reigns it all in. Lovely…

Posted from CellarTracker

65D58443-4FB3-42A6-9B00-8A2A64267C50.png

how are they related to bachelet ramonet or denis bachalet?

I like that lunch, Kirk. Simple yet extravagant. Taste-wise, how did the pairing work?

Its a perfect pairing, the sweetness of the lobster and the body of the Chardonnay…This wine was so good when I tasted it that I opted to run down the road and grab a Lobster Roll from The Eagles Nest…a local “hot spot” that is busy pretty much all the time that they’re open. To put it to context…the place had one empty seat at 3pm. It’s out of the way, small, and in an ugly, run-down looking building. Inside it’s clean and they’re trying to maximize the space to the best of their ability. I love eat 3-5 of these a year…it’s not inexpensive…but worth every penny.

Kirk, have you tasted 2015 for this wine or any of the other Bachelet Monnot wines from the 2016 vintage?

They are from Maranges, I don’t think they’re related to either. And Denis Bachelet isn’t related to Bachelet Ramonet.

The 2016 Folatières was really excellent. They made a very strong set of reds and whites in 2016. 2015 turned out well too, not too extreme. Very strong for their reds.

No, this was my first experience with their wines…count me a fan. If you have 2015s available in your area, maybe just buy one to try?

I grabbed one 16 PM and meursault to try

I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts on both the wines and what you think of the Meursault compared to the PM.

Sounds very good. They are listed for La Paulee in NY, I look forward to trying their ‘16s.

Have not yet tasted any of their whites, but I have tasted their B-rouge and a couple of their 1er cru Maranges and they were fresh and pure. I look forward to trying this one.

The Meursault is from the Clos du Cromin so a richer, more exotic expression of the village from deeper soils - and that was only emphasized by small yields after the frost in 2016. The Puligny 2016 was quite closed when I tasted it a month ago, but it’s classically balanced and quite classy. Bottles in the US might be more open than the one I tasted at the domaine.

2014 PM was tight as a drum around a year ago, I would be shocked if it’s moved anywhere since. Big fan of this domaine. The 2014 Bourgogne Blanc is outrageously good.

Thank you for the notes! How does the 2016 Referts fit in that mix?

From barrel it was tangier, chalkier and tighter-knit than the ampler, more satiny Folatières, but I haven’t tasted it from bottle.

Dear Lord this is just JUST what I want in Chardonnay…2nd of 3 bottles gone in one week.

So I was inspired to seek out a bottle of this to try for myself.
I opened it yesterday, drank some, and I’m enjoying it tonight as well. Definitely a lovely wine, and Kirk’s description pretty accurately describes what I’ve found. What’s stood out to me a bit has been the compact nature of the wine. Linear, taut, mineral, quite a drying finish that leaves you with no sense of fluff or baby fat. Yet, this doesn’t have any unpleasant austerity.

I really like the style, I’ll have to buy some more and seek out some of the 1ers.

By the way, thanks for the post, Kirk. I had been wanting to give Bachelet-Monnot a try and this post and thread convinced me.