TN: Why I would French kiss Kermit Lynch

Ok, maaaayyybbeee not with tongue, but that man definitely deserves some love for constantly knocking it out of the park with his Burgundy imports. He’s turned me on to so many over-performing bottles at various price points. Last night, I stumbled upon an absolute knock-out that easily drank at 2-3x its retail.

The wine in question being a 2015 Domaine Gachot Monot Côte de Nuits-Villages. Holy freaking crap. Maybe it’s the strength of 2015, but there’s such lovely fruit that sits right in the ripe-with-still-perfect-acidity sweet spot. There’s structure for days, but the oak is not the least bit overbearing. What really put this over the top for me was an amazing exotic spice note that drinks like a nice Vosne village wine. For me, this easily takes the cake for the best Nuits-Villages I’ve ever had.
I see this wine breezing past the 10 year mark, but it’ll be hard to keep my hands off these for sooner consumption. 92pts.
DC4D5D8F-E0CA-4B95-B3FA-518949CEAD8D.jpeg
48AC9E98-E2A3-4F38-AC00-EA0E37914559.jpeg

PnPnP !?

Pop ‘n pour? Pretty much. We drank this over 2ish hours. Only took about 5 minutes and some glass swirling to fully open up.

Purchase 'n Pop 'n Pour !? [cheers.gif]

‘Kermit’?
In life, one has to kiss many ‘frogs’.

I’d brush mustaches with him.

Try the “Aux Crots”
I still have some from 2002 that is too young
I am used to receiving french kisses just for getting entrance to my cellar [cheers.gif]

Agree. When living in SF I’d buy single bottles at his store of wines I didn’t know at very reasonable prices. The ones that got hidden in the cellar have always been positive surprises years later.

I haven’t been in several years but it was always a very cool old place to visit as he had magnums of unexpected wines and lots of interesting choices in general.

I’ve always felt that picking a good importer and trying their selections is a great way of hedging your bets on imported wines. Terry Thiese and Alain Junguenet are other good examples, but Kermit is the original one that worked for me.

recently I found a b of 96 Lassalle Angèline (Kermit import) in the cellar, must have bought it long ago, and it was stunning. So I had to find 08!

Ah, I see you found this bottle at your favorite Burgundy retailer [wink.gif]

Joking aside, I agree. This is a fantastic bottle for under $30. I didn’t get the impression that it was quite as mind-blowing and age worthy as your write-up, but I think it’s worth seeking out and I’m sure it’ll have no problem if you want to put some away for a few years. I’m not especially experienced with the producer or aging Bourgogne so I could be wrong and it may age beautifully 10+ years. I guess I’m just not sure it’d develop enough to warrant that.

Anyway, thanks for posting the tasting note. I’m glad to hear someone else found and very much enjoyed this wine!

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Wait, I thought Burgundy was dead at retail… [berserker.gif]

Would be sooooooooooooooo epic if Mark bought it from Binny’s…WB might break!

[winner.gif] Take a look at the receipt in his picture. [rofl.gif]

Sorry, Mark, haha.

Had this same wine at Le Caviste in Seattle and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Wish i could find some locally for that price!