Amusing comments on John Kapon

From the latest Acker Merrall Hong Kong auction catalog:

“No one had ever described Chateau Margaux to me in that way.” - Corinne Mentzolopolous

“…unique in the wine-writing world.” - Dr. Bipin Desai

“An amazing man.” - Veronique Drouhin

It brings to mind the persistent assertion by the Brits that Americans have no sense of irony.

“Responsible for some of the most original, creative, and innovative wines ever sold by a major auction house.”

He sat across from me at a NYC offline in the early aughts. Did not make a good first impression.

I met him for the first time at an Acker pre-auction tasting/ dinner in HK moderated by Meadows just after they abolished wine taxes. He made such an impression I pulled all my bids and vowed never to do business with them.

I was more disappointed with Meadows however, whose credibility to me took a big knock by him seemingly puffing up quite a few sub-par bottles.

Genius! John Kapon on John Kapon.

It can be yours for only $75.

I was more disappointed with Meadows however, whose credibility to me took a big knock by him seemingly puffing up quite a few sub-par bottles.

And quite a few by Rudy. He was as taken in as everyone. When you have a famous label in front of you, you just know the wine is going to be good.

But as he said himself in a 2017 interview, “It’s a great and positive time for wine. We are interested in positive stories, not the negative stories, or digging up old ghosts,” said John Kapon

Ditto here. He showed up to an offline in Chicago drunk. If that’s his personality under booze, he must be a real gem when he’s sober.

Are you referring to Meadows or Kapon?

As I recall, Meadows claimed to have had suspicions about some Rudy bottles he tasted at big dinners, and said he’d expressed those to a few people, but felt it would be rude to voice them to the whole group.

That’s understandable. But he lent his name to the whole Rudy/Acker charade.

The Margaux quote is deliciously ambiguous.

Reminds me of a colleague many years ago who described his exit interview:

Boss: “Jonathan, how do you think we could make our product better?”

Departing employee: “Kathy, I don’t think you could.”

I remember that evening well. Couldn’t agree more.

He is still in business?

Even with direct Consignments from Domaines of Burgundy !