Poll: Aging Bourgogne

How Many Years After Vintage Date Do You Drink Your Bourgogne?

• 1-2YR (e.g. a 2016 drunk in 2017-18)
  • 3-4YR
  • 5-7YR
  • 8-9YR
  • 10+ YR

0 voters

Curious, when do folks drink their bourgogne? I imagine there is variance by producer and vintage, with riper vintages (2009? 2012? 2015?) being better suited for ageability – but this is my speculation. My personal focus is on the strong middle-tier producers, e.g. where you are paying $30-40 per bottle upon release for a Faiveley, Meo, Barthod, Arlaud, etc. I’ve approached these bottles as cellar defenders, but I’ve had a few that I thought would improve with some age - inspiring this question: For a reasonably accessible $35 Bourgogne, how many years after release will you wait to consume the bulk of your bottles (if at all)?

Not a big fan of bourgognes in general but if I have to drink them i prefer them fresh and lively. I feel that this way serves their purpose.

very much depends on producer and vintage for me, Bourgogne shuts down just like their big bothers and some like Lafarge are very hard in their youth and demand some time to come around, so much depends on producer and vintage

For me, it varies widely by wine. The 2005 Bourgogne Rouge from Truchot is just getting mature enough (more a reflection of 2005 than anything else). On the other hand, I often enjoy drinking a lot of Bourgogne rouge with salmon while the wine is still young and bright.

Voted 5-7, but my actual answer is 5-10. A few creep older than that, but 10+ is generally when I’d start sampling 1ers and GCs.

My general range is 2-10 years. I cannot manage to save my Guillemots beyond age five, but manage to hold on to some of my onesy-twosies a few years longer.

30% say “3-4 years.”

So, drinking vintage 2016 this coming year?

I said 8-9 years, but I’m like BRian–5-10 is more what I do. actually about 4-12 or more, with most 8-12 on.

Anywhere from 1-15, so I voted in the middle at 5-7.

This thread was just what I needed to get around to trying one of these bottles of Marsannay which I’ve held in my cellar since release.

• 2005 Huguenot Père & Fils Marsannay - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay (12/27/2018)
    Fairly nice nose of herbs and cherry skin. The palate has a modest amount of red fruit, and still a bit of cherry skin tartness to the finish. Pleasant food wine, nothing much beyond that. I probably should have opened this five years ago.

Posted from CellarTracker

I’d say neither good nor bad value for the low $20s price tag on release, but I probably waited too long here, as the fruit has faded to very little yet no particular complexity has developed, except maybe a bit on the nose.

I expected 10+ years to be outlier not a core response group. Now I’m interested in doing a Bourgogne vertical. But not sure how to source the bottles

I voted 10+, because that’s what I usually age the Bourgognes I buy to age (Lafarge, Gouges, Mugneret-Gibourg, Bachelet)
Others I drink young,
Served a '02 Bachelet with quail course Christmas, drinking perfectly for my tastes (though they were good 2010-2015 period too).

I probably should have voted for 3-4 but put 1-2, I like drinking Bourgogne early.

No one answer for me. I’ve recently drunk 15 Faiveley, 14 and 10 Bertheau, and 08 Perrot Minot. BTW, Faiveley should be $20 or so.

15 Faiveley is superb and a village wine quality wise IMO.

I voted 3-4 years, and I drink some at that age and some older - found this a hard poll to provide just one answer. I have not yet tasted any Bourgogne Rouge from 2016, so I cannot answer this definitely, but I do drink some Bourgogne Rouges when they are first released. I do like these wines when they first come out when they are full of fruit and go well with salmon and certain other fish dishes. I tend not to drink these wines with heavier dishes anyway - tend to drink more villages wines, premier crus and grand crus (or even Bordeaux, etc.) with meatier dishes.

As an example, I have been drinking Dublere’s 2015 Chorey les Beaune and Hudelot-Noellat’s 2014 Bourgogne Rouge with great pleasure over the last year (and have other bottles of the Dublere I will continue to drink). With respect to the Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge, I have drunk my 2014s and will be moving into my 2015s.

The '15 Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge is delicious and drinking nicely right now. I plan to spend the next 5-7 years drinking through a case. Just had the '16 de Montille Bourgogne Rouge last night, which was also a lovely wine.

FYI, the 2014 Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne has closed up shop for now. Had it last night. Do not disturb.

I only buy Bourgogne in the riper vintage, with the intent to age them a bit. Having said that, i buy too much and have no qualms about grabbing a bottle of something young for a simple dinner. I answered 8-9, but the range is far wider than that. I am just closing in on the last bottles of 2005 and the truth is most were better 2-3 years ago.

Need a longer period category. I said 10+, but in reality it’s more like 15 or 20+