Accessible Barolo Vintages

What would be some more recent Barolo vintages that are reasonably accessible currently? 11, 12, 14 are some that come to mind that seem available on the secondary market for decent prices. I have had a few 12s lately that seem to be drinking quite well.

07?

^definitely this

I’d also put in 09 and 11 as good vintages for more immediate drinking

Disregarding the “new paradigm”: 1958, 1961, 1964, 1971, 1978, 1982, 1985 …
Some 2012 taste very good right now. Also 2011 Barbarescos

I’m looking for vintages that I can easily buy. There are a lot of 12s floating around right now, and a decent amount of 11s. Vintages older than that, not so much.

I enjoyed a 2012 Giacosa Fratelli Bussia that I opened last year.

I’ll once again remind that Klapp was (maybe is) of the opinion that 2007 was for the longer term and 2008 more accessible.

This is a tough call…I would go with 12s…but just regular barolo’s not the single crus.

08s are closed at the moment. The Monprivato I had a month back was fast asleep.

I know, hence my reference to said vintages [cheers.gif]

Michael, I cannot provide an opinion about Barolo vintage accessibility, but I can suggest a specific Barolo that is accessible and enjoyable IMO. The 2010 Michele Reverdito, while not an epic Barolo, was very enjoyable drinking this past year. I think it would even fit in on that “short universal wine list” that you recently put together. It retails for about $30 and may be available at Binny’s stores. (Apparently Barolo is NOT dead at retail!) FWIW. Best, -Jim

How’s 06 atm?

It was a tannic vintage. I opened a bottle of the '06 Produttori normale a year ago. It is a fabulous wine, but needs a lot of decanting and rich food, and you still have to have a high tolerance for tannin. Generally, the '05s and '07s are more approachable.

I’m curious to hear other peoples’ experiences with the '12s recently. I bought some two years ago for mid-term drinking, but I’ve assumed they’re probably at an awkward stage right now. I was figuring I’d hold off a couple of years. But that was just a hunch. I haven’t tested my theory.

Hi Michael
The other angle, might be to buy some wines from producers that make lighter / more approachable wines, or indeed some Langhe nebbiolo wines (which seem better than ever at the moment). The added advantage, is these should be cheaper than fancier producers in more open vintages (and for ‘open’ that can often mean warmer, and thus starts to move away from my preferred style).
Regards
Ian

It was at the beginning of the year, but I had both a Fratelli Alessandria Monvigliero and Fenocchio Bussia and both were lovely IMO. I do think that they’ll benefit from age, but it could well be a vintage with a wide open drinking window

As in Bordeaux 2012 is an under-rated Cinderella vintage in Piedmont, many wines are starting to drink well. The 12 vintage is cooler than the 11 vintage which is nonetheless also usefully accessible.

More generally for drinking now, from this century on: 00, 02, 03, 05, 07, 09, 11, 12.

I had the Rivetto Serralunga lately which was also very nice.

In addition to the warmer vintages mentioned, I have yet to have a 2008 Barolo over the past year that I have not found very enjoyable at this stage. Will the wines improve from here, no doubt, but the '08 vintage produced some very beautiful perfumes even at this young stage.

In terms of older but not too old classic vintages, 1999 seems to be a good bet.

reasonably accessible, and ‘available’? 09,11,12. I would wait on most 14s for another year or two. Generally speaking, of course

Hm. I have a few bottles of 08 grasso chinera but was assuming they’d need some years yet…

I have several bottles of the 14 unio but the notes I’ve seen on it have been pretty underwhelming; I’d guess a few years could help it.