TN: 1908 D'Oliveiras Madeira, Boal Reserva - Crazy Good!!

Let me just start by saying, this stuff is absolutley insane! My first older madeira experience and I can safely say I’m pretty blown away (which I assumed I would be). This pours a thicker, darker, young molasses type color. No way you could tell the age, or even what type of wine this is just by looking at it. On the nose, this is explosive with figs, sweet raisins, and a hint of citrus oil. Very much towards the darker, heavier fortified wine spectrum. Blind, I’d be going aged port all the way. On the palate, this is absolutley nothing like the nose, in that it’s all high toned lemons, citrus, and walnuts. Super light on its feet. The levels of acidity in this 110 year old wine are astounding. I think it would have literally ripped your lips off if you tried to drink this before it was bottled in 2006. I’m absolutley loving the dichotomy between the darker nose and the lighter palate, and have literally never tasted anything like it before. Throw in a 90 second finish and this is one of the most interesting, and enjoyable wines I’ve ever had. Pretty crazy that this was made during a time when the average life expectancy was 47 years old, the average wage was $0.22 per hour, the average worker made between $200 and $400 per year, Ford’s Model T went on sale for $825 while there were only 144 Miles of paved roads in the US…and of course…it was the last time that the Cubs won the world Series prior to 2016. Simply amazing that they were able to craft a wine of this caliber back then, and you can’t help but to appreciate it even more given the challenges they must have faced during that time. A real treat that I feel privileged to drink with friends and family here at the end of 2018. Life is good!!

[media] Rich Brown on Instagram: "1908 D'Oliveiras Boal Madeira Reserva" [/media]

Nice!

I love Madeira. Love.

I can now say the same my man. Totally blown away.

Nice note! These seniors are not as inexpensive as they used to be, sadly.

Thanks Markus! And yeah, its damn difficult to find older Madeira at reasonable prices. Sounds like I missed the boat on that unfortunately :frowning:

Welcome to the club.
Yes, the stocks of old Madeira are shrinking rapidly and they were miniscule to begin with. The world has finally woken up and prices have literally doubled in the past 10 years.

Man, I wish I would have been more into wine 10 years ago. Was able to find a few bottles locally at decent prices…but literally NEVER see any deals on the auction sites I frequent.

I really enjoyed reading your note, especially with some historical perspective. Sometimes I like to look up what was happening that year when I have a truly old wine. I think old Madeira is some of the best wine out there. Too bad it’s expensive now, even though it totally deserves to be.

Thanks Doug! And yep, I’m totally with you on the historical context when you’re drinking an old wine. Makes you appreciate it that much more.

Outstanding. I have two of these that I got at auction. When I went to hit ENTER to place the Internet bid, I screamed “No, don’t do it,” but I couldn’t stop myself. I spent two days hoping to be outbid, but I wasn’t. Maybe it was a good deal after all.

Ha! Of course the one time you actually want to get sniped…you dont :wink:

I’m not sure what you paid Jay but I’m pretty sure you’ll consider it money well spent. This wine was seriously incredible! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you open one!

I need a good excuse. I have drunk two 1875s and two 1922s (my mother’s birth year). My 60th birthday, my mother’s 85th, my mother’s 90th and in the executive dining room at the SF 49ers stadium with the Chairman of the Board. You just can’t drink a wine like that with pizza on Tuesday.

Yep, I’m totally with you on that. I’d been looking for a good reason to open one, and while its definitely not at the same level as the very special occasions that you listed, the theme for my tasting group in December was dessert wines. It’s a really generous group so I figured that was as good a time as any to pop one…plus it was pretty close to my Birthday as well :slight_smile: