TN: NV G. H. Mumm & Cie Champagne Cordon Rouge Brut (France, Champagne)

• NV G. H. Mumm & Cie Champagne Cordon Rouge Brut - France, Champagne (12/25/2018)
    I give up on this wine. Mediocre is all I can say. The Mumm Brut Prestige is more interesting than this. Lemon, subtle spice, dough and chalk. A bitter finish. While Piper Heidsieck is crushing it on the N.V. side these guys need some help. Thank goodness I only paid $22 with tax and it is not even worth that. (85 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Commercialized shit, eh?
I haven’t had the Cordon since the 80s.
Back then, I didn’t know better.
Now, I’m sure that I’d agree with you that it’s shit.

Mumm-Grand-Cordon-Rouge-Ross-Lovegrove-Bottle.jpg
Yes it is. I have had about 5 tasting notes on this and the last good one was 2012. The look of the bottle says it all but since it was $19.99 I had to try it.

Trader Joe’s sells this in Las Vegas. Buyer beware.

This may be pretty mediocre Champagne, but it is Champagne, and for $19.99, I’m not sure what anyone would complaint about…The competition at that point is not strong, and I’d probably rather drink this than (for example) the Roeder Anderson Valley or the Kirkland Signature Champagne. (Worst case, it’s a toss-up between those at $19)…I’ve occasionally found some amazing Cava that could beat this for $19, but that’s rare and always with short-term availability…

I find the mumm brut prestige more interesting. The price is good at 19.99 but for $10 I can get the piper which is a stellar nv