TN: Some Lovely Wines The Last Couple Of Days

2004 Scherrer Fort Ross Vineyard High Slopes- Absolutely fantastic nose of a lavender, black cherry, and just a hint of roasted meat. Still quite dark and young looking in the glass. Supple, smooth black cherry fruit on the attack, lots of savory peppery notes on the mid palate with a bracing but balanced acidic finish. I think this wine could go an easy 10 years more, but alas my last botttle and I don’t think Fred has sourced fruit from this vineyard in a while.

2016 Leonardo Bussoletti Colle Murello Bianco IGT - at a friends for the feast of the seven fishes on Christmas Eve. I have really been digging Trebbiano recently and this was a beautiful, albeit young, example. Spicy, peppery nose with a blast of salt spray and lemon oil. Richly textured, almost a touch waxy in the palate but with lots of buttressing acidity and minerality to keep it all in check. Very tightly coiled, so I think would benefit from some bottle age and pick up some additional complexity. Really shone with the food.

2014 Latour Martillac Blanc - gorgeous nose of lemon, grapefruit, white pepper and just a hint of earth. Beautifully textured on the palate with crisp crunchy acidity. A fantastic food wine and will continue to evolve into something special.

1937 Niepoort Port - just touched the cork with the worm of my Durand and it plunged into the bottle. With a decant, wine was still going strong. Beautiful caramel color that actually seemed to darken as it sat in the decanter. Toffee, almonds, figs and just a touch of alcohol on the nose. Palate very consistent with the nose and the wine really blossomed as it sat open, with the last glass being the best. Could it go another 81 years? It seems like it could.

Merry Christmas to all the Berserkers!