TN: 2013 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet 1er Clos St Jean

This was a little different than the Clos de la Boudriette, as William said, slightly more rustic, but had a nice umami note and very nice aromatics. Drinking very well atm.

This improved a bit over the course of the night. I saved a little bit for tomorrow.

Just clarifying, Michael, this is the Chassagne Rouge?

Yep

This was even better on day 2. Silky smooth, excellent tart acidity, still a nice umami note. This would hold its own with top Volnay or Chambolle 1ers imo. At the $50 price point this is just ridiculous.

Had the 1971 not long ago, which confirmed my suspicion that CSJ can often age better than Clos de la Boudriotte from Ramonet. With extended bottle age, the structural rusticity melts away but the fleshier, richer fruit remains. At least in 1971, it was the more youthful and gourmand of the two.

If you have any interest in seeking out other red Chassagne, try recent vintages from Hubert Lamy, Michel Niellon (their CSJ is excellent in 2015), and Bernard Moreau.

I have one 16 moreau cardeuse, holding for awhile.

Love CM reds from Ramonet and Bernard Moreau. This is an excellent bang for the buck place in Burgundy.

Our burg tasting group tasted Pommard one month earlier this year and one person (ok, it was me) brought a red CM from Ramonet in addition to a Pommard. It was my favorite wine of the evening.

Yeah I have purchased a number of cases of Ramonet reds in the last year; they’ve been among my favorite red burgs, although obviously there are plenty of good ones.

Michael, you found my stash. Before the CSJ I must have gone through 2 or 3 cases of '13 Morgeot rouge from them at $39 a bottle. Just ordered my last six pack of CSJ since the cat is out of the bag, thanks for the heads-up. Please do post finds like this in the future since our tastes sound similar. BTW I did not like the 14s nearly as much, also some VA in the Boudriotte.

2016s are also a bit of a mixed bag… not an easy vintage in Chassagne-Montrachet!

They won’t ship to PA so it’s too much of a pain to get it here… I found some decent deals on the 2015 Clos de la Boudriette tho.

Winehouse has/had the 15 cm villages for $50 or so… Bruno Colin Chassagne Rouge vv at $20 is a nice drink too.

Nywines has the 2014 Drouhin Clos de mouches for $37 currently.

Looks like it’s sold out. Got any other great burg deals?

The 13 ramonet csj for 49; 15 Clos de la Boudriette is like 75 from wine cellarage, decent deal.