Unpopular tasting note?

First of all it pains me to write this note…it is for the: 2016 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard ‘Elysian’

Very sweet and rich and tough to drink more than a glass of this. I love Mike and a lot of his wines but I struggle with this wine. I know how his wines are and I have 16 other bottles of Myriad wines and have scored many of them in the mid to upper 90’s but I just can’t with this wine. The limited CT reviews don’t hide the fact that it’s ripe and big but I don’t get the purity and lift that I would hope for in a big wine. Then I read AG’s notes and scores and I felt that was exactly my experience he had. Not a lot of lift to the wine. Anyone else tasted this wine? Am I crazy? Does any of this really matter and just shut up and drink the board darling wine? Or should I be waiting several years for this to come around? 86 pts purely because it has good fruits and flavor, but the rich almost syrupy blueberry pie is too much to get past

You might love Mike, but I’m guessing he doesn’t love you anymore Joe. Who is Mike?

Mike Smith. The winemaker, totally cool guy and love his wines generally but this one feels like it went over the edge :slight_smile: I always post my super positive notes but wanted to create some chatter in a not so amazing score. Just wanting some feedback from board members here

I have not had the '16 yet,however have had previous years and found them to be top notch wines .
I do enjoy my wines big and young, but perhaps the '16 could use a bit of time in the bottle.
Cellar Tracker scores are mostly extremely high.

Unless we’re prepared to write of the disappointments, the highlights are like the icing without the cake. It’s an honest negative review, without any axe to grind. The feedback is you’ve handled the situation really well (IMO).

It was also good to call out that you read Galloni’s note after you’d come to your own conclusion, just in case anyone might think you were merely following his opinions.

Joe, I too recently opened a Napa Red that I’ve loved in the past…and it seemed too “sweet” to me as well. While not as young, I wonder if it was a fruit day?

With any wine if you don’t like it give it the score you believe it is at. Too many people are worried about a critics score or the cellar tracker average. I have never had a good Orin Swift wine or Prisoner wine yet the critics think these are all 90 point or higher.

I for one am off the Mike Smith bandwagon for the very reasons you mention…except I think it is more applicable across the board than you. Boy will these be unpopular posts here… [smileyvault-ban.gif]

86 points for a wine you couldn’t drink more than a glass of? That’s pretty generous.

+1
that’s a solid B+?

It’s not a bad wine Oliver just not totally my style. Mike I wish you were my teacher in school. An 86 is a B+? Haha, I could of used you for my math grade in high school!! It’s a well made wine and has some good characteristics such as good fruits and not an oak bomb. I am typically a generous scorer I guess :slight_smile:

I think it’s totally appropriate to post negative tasting notes, regardless of what people generally think of the wine. I do think that the 2016s need a bit of time and a lot of air to be ready, though.

Totally agree- I have no problem with tasting notes that are not positive (assuming they’re legit and the poster has no axe to grind) and find them just as helpful as glowing reviews.

And as others have mentioned, this one was very well done Joe.

This is right from Cellar Tracker

Wine Rating Scale
CellarTracker uses a 50-100 point scale for rating wines.

Score Grade Meaning
98-100 A+ Extraordinary
94-97 A Outstanding
90-93 A- Excellent
86-89 B+ Very Good
80-85 B Good
70-79 C Below/Average
50-69 D Avoid

As long as people are volunteering to be flogged…

I agree with the above. Emphatically.

Same with me and SQN. pileon

Damn Mike you got me there man!! Didn’t realize that on CT’s scale. I stand corrected then. B+ it is :slight_smile: Perhaps an 85 would of been more appropriate to just good.

There’s a reason those wines scored so well with some critics but you don’t owe anyone an explanation or apology. The wines are of a type and I’ve had a number of people tell me pretty much what you did. Same with a lot of other wines that are popular on this board. To each his own, or her own. High scoring wine with one person, not so popular with another.

Tasting notes on this board should be open and honest and should be based on what’s in the glass in front of you. Too often, notes are based on expectations or reputations or personal relationships with the winery/winemaker.

Some feel that if they don’t like a wine, it would rather or should rather not post anything negative about it. I think we need to differentiate between negative and nasty.

We may not like a wine for a number of reasons. But as long as you’re being constructive and not negative, I see no reason why not to post a note.

Of course, just like with everything else wine-related, your mileage may vary!

Rules For Tasting Notes.

1. Be Honest
  2. (see number 1)

Everything else is a matter of personal preference and style.

I post most of my TNs; positive, moderate, and negative, alike.

John Glas wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:01 am
I have never had a good Orin Swift wine or Prisoner wine yet the critics think these are all 90 point or higher.
As long as people are volunteering to be flogged…

I agree with the above. Emphatically.

Same with me and SQN.

At least the SQN wines can be resold at a nice profit!