2014 Wind Gap Chardonnay, Santa Cruz Mountains, Woodruff vineyard

My first bottling from this reputed producer.

Aromas are reticent but fine, with Rome apple and Seckel pear. That’s the best part of it. The palate is vigorous and balanced, with almost fierce acidity. However the flavors are muted. There are just tiny hints of the lime and conifer I find in almost all SCM Chardonnays. For me, they make the Appellation, along with Chablis, the most distinctive for Chardonnay and one of my favorites. However if tasted blind, I’m not sure I would have gotten this. The lack of distinctive SCM character lowers my pleasure less than the overall neutrality of the flavor profile. I’m on the second day for this, had hoped it would blossom, but what I have is a steely glass of almost random Chardonnay. It works fine as an accompaniment to the scallop spinach focaccia that’s for dinner, but I had hoped for more. Rated 85. I have a few bottles left, will bury them deep in the cellar and hope for something more in ~3 - 5 years.

Dan Kravitz

Just cracked my last bottle… much better!

The aromas feature granny smith apple and minerals, with something saline; there’s more than a hint of lime, it’s still a little short on conifer. The palate remains steely, but with there is more flavor and fruit, almost a hint of something floral. The finish is longer as well. Now I wish I had a few more, as this is definitely still on the upswing. Rated 89, up to 4 points of improvement possible over 5 years.

Dan Kravitz

This is an excellent Pinot Noir vineyard. Old vines. Originally the Matteson Vyd, which SCMV sourced. It declined under neglect under the second owner, then restored by the Woodruffs and Stefania WIne. SCMV, Stefania, Ghostwriter, Big Basin and Wind Gap have all made excellent Pinot from here. The Wind Gaps are the only Chards I’ve knowingly had, with the same impression as yours. It is now under the fourth owner and (at least) fifth name, Ferrari Family Vineyard. They have their own label, Ferrari Ranch Wines, which I’ve yet to try. (Their vineyard manager is talented, so I have hope.)

This update is pleasing as I recently bought a 6-bottle Lot of the 2013 Wind Gap Woodruff Vineyard Chardonnay for $10.78 all-in from Winebid (yes, $1.80 a bottle).

I’ve enjoyed Wind Gap’s chardonnays from the 08-12 vintages, but I’d heard things went downhill after 2012.