TN: Lilbert & Fils 2012 Blanc de Blancs

Stellar wine. Ranks at the very top of the best 2012s I’ve had so far (Hebrart’s Noce de Craie is another, albeit in the red grape idiom).

Perfect balance already. Fresh acidity is enveloped in ripe orchard and citrus fruit flavors. One of those wines you know will be special from the first whiff from the glass. The yeasty, pastry, nutty notes play harmoniously behind the deep, rich, vibrant fruit of this wine. I’m sure this will age just fine, but in contrast to the 08 this is already delivering a lot of its promise. It reminds me of the way top notch White Burgundy can deliver texture, complexity and layers of fruit, minerality and secondary notes, only with more freshness, lower alcohol and bubbles.

Love what I’ve seen from '12 thus far Jim.

Some friends who just came back from their annual trip to Champagne and were over at our house for lunch yesterday allowed as how the Lilbert Blanc de Blancs (I can’t remember which vintage, it might have been the '12) was the best champagne of their entire trip this year. Sounds like I need to seek some out. Thanks for the corroborative note, Jim.

great note jim!

I’m a big fan of this house and they seem to slightly fly under the radar. The quality is top notch and they barely make anything, so thankfully they do fly under the radar

I would not be surprised - the vintage wine is a stunner, but even the NV and Perle are worth the hunt.

Big +1. I thought for a moment about not posting my note!

1 Like

For sure, I own the Perle - love the low pressure style, it’s something unusual in my champagne holdings and a very useful pairing tool.

Huge fan. Top three Champagne producer in my cellar. Wonderful guy too.