What are you serving with your holiday dinner?

What are you thinking of serving at your holiday dinner? We’ll have 6 drinking adults present. As we’ll be drinking/eating over 2 hours, thinking of going with:

1. a prosecco (whatever I can find in my small cellar)
  2. 1999 La Verite La Joie
  3. 2004 Hundred Acre Shiraz Summer’s Block Ancient Way

A little bit of everything. Try to have a nice range for the guests who enjoy nice wine but aren’t going to sit around and discuss it. So I use it as an opportunity to see where some things in cellar are in terms of drinking window/additional purchases.

NV Aubry, Pol Roger and Roederer (some or all of these)
1996 Sociando Mallet (mainly for the wife and me)
2012 Myriad Three Twins (mainly for everyone else)
2004 Vieux Chateau Certan
2008 Taupenot-Merme Corton-Rognet
2013 Kelley Fox Maresh
1983 Graham’s

Last tasted the 2004 VCC at release, a bottle courtesy of Alexandre from VCC. Easily one of the best from the vintage for me, then. I have some sleeping away and look forward to your impressions.

All of my 20 something year old daughters will be over. We will be drinking thru my remaining bottles of Caymus 40. Will probably begin with some good Finger Lakes Riesling while preparing dinner.

Given how few of my family now drink, my list is for the whole holiday week,

Dagueneau Silex 2014
Big Table Farm Chardonnay 2016
Melville Sandy’s Pinot Noir 2015
Arcadian Pisoni Pinot Noir 2005
A. Rafanelli Cabernet 2012
Silver Oak Napa Cabernet 2006
Diznoko 5 Puttonyos Tokaji 2008

2013 Ramonet Clos St Jean
2005 Vilmart Grand Cellier d’Or

Few other wines during the week.

Typically everyone brings a bottle or two, so i’ll bring a magnum of 2012 La Massa Giorgio Primo

Nailed that list. Just had the Arcadian Pisoni and it’s in a nice spot.

Rory K wrote:

Given how few of my family now drink, my list is for the whole holiday week,

Dagueneau Silex 2014
Big Table Farm Chardonnay 2016
Melville Sandy’s Pinot Noir 2015
Arcadian Pisoni Pinot Noir 2005
A. Rafanelli Cabernet 2012
Silver Oak Napa Cabernet 2006
Diznoko 5 Puttonyos Tokaji 2008

We opened the 2012 Rafanelli two weeks ago when I met up with some of my college roommates. The bottle was emptied very quickly, and it is drinking very well right now.

Ed

A couple bottles of bubbly, one of which will be a Soter Brut Rose. Then a magnum each of 2005 Domaine Serene Grace and 2005 Archery Summitt Arcus.

Sorry Ramon, the one wine we didn’t get to. But will pop with the wife soon and post a note. Other than with my sister in law, the 96 Sociando was a massive hit. I was surprised since I thought would be poorly received other than by me and the wife. Ended up opening more. Interesting that people who tend to like ripe CdP and Cali wines strongly preferred next to the Myriad. Think something to be said about wine that goes well with food (in this case a room temp standing rib roast).

Tonight:
Laurent Perrier La Cuvee NV
Lange Mistletoe Vineyard Pinot 2012

Tomorrow:
Christophe Mignon Rose Saignee
Thomas Pinot 2005
Weingut Donnhoff Schlossbockelheimer Kupfergrube Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel 2006

And maybe Ciacci Piccolomini Brunello Pianrosso 2012

Under the Wire 2014 sparkling Zin for cooking and sitting around.
Lexington Cabernet 2013 for the prime rib roast.
Still working on desert.

Going to start with something light and refreshing to open palates over snacks, cheese and crackers. Probably

2016 Müller Scharzhofberger Kabinett

We are going old school and building a meal around a Beef Wellington (with prosciutto instead of pâté), so breaking out some big boys

2002 Colgin Herb Lamb
2012 Realm BTK
2000 Smith Haute Lafitte (if thirst demands it).

Back to Germany for dessert and beyond, a

2005 Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) Saarburger Rausch Riesling Auslese Lange Goldkapsel #5

Maybe a few other bottles, we’ll see.

Happy Holidays all!

My extended family primarily favors sweet white wines, but I up the quality level for Thanksgiving and Christmas (switching them from their normal Barefoot Moscato to German Riesling (which they do really love now). There are also some people who like a variety of good wines, but normally domestic easy to like stuff. We have about 24 people, of whom 14-16 will drink wine, so I bring a case. Today will look something like:

1 brut Champagne, probably Peters
5 JJ Prum Spatlese (various vineyards)
2 Failla SC Chardonnay
2 Rivers Marie Pinot
2 Realm The Bard

Multiple dinners over the past several nights and fun to reach into my small but ever-expanding cellar with a few days off from work.

For tonight with a roast chicken I’ve pulled a 2005 Rion Echezeaux. It’s really quite nice.

Cooked over the weekend for the family as well and opened up an '04 Pegau CdP Reservee to go with ground beef tacos, and and '05 GPL to go with roast lamb shoulder.

Have to say, 3 for 3 so far! If it was a race, as of right now the Pegau beats the Echezeaux by a nose at the tape, and GPL not too far behind either.

Need to figure out what to do for NYE.

2008 Bedrock Lauterbach.

2010 Copain Monument Tree
NV Mousse Fils BdN EB
2006 Latour Corton Charlie

Went eclectic.

Nice Robert! We started with a 14 UTW sparkling zin as well. Great wine. Feel like they really started hitting their stride in 14.

Also popped a 97 Cristal (excellent) and having an 06 Insignia for dinner (our guests should love it)

Prime Rib Eyes
08 Rudd Oakville Estate Prop Red Magnum – 4 hour decant
07 Foley Claret - 4 hour decant
01 d’Yquem

Not bad especially from the land of Mahi and Ahi