Ouch. Premoxed 2011 V. Dauvissat La Forest

Served last night at a small dinner with close friends. nice, fresh chablis color. beautiful…nose and palate of baked apple pie. Crap. youngest pre-moxed V. Dauvissat yet. Cork looked fine but seemed somewhat light-weight.

ouch is right.

Have opened over a dozen 2011 and have had no premox issues at all. Hell two of the same wine in the last week and a half. 2008 is really the only vintage I’ve had issues with in the last 10-15 vintages.

I’ve been a big defender of Dauvissat, and have 10 cases or so in the cellar, but in addition to big-time problems with 2008, have now had had pre-moxed 2009 and 2011 Forest.

Sad to read. I had one in August 2018 and was fine. It probably makes zero difference for premox, but I keep the home cellar at 52. But thank you for the note as I will drink the last 2011 that I have.

I am out. Cases and cases of premoxed wine across many vintages. Frankly, I am amazed people still buy White Burgundy. The problem is definitely not solved (in fact it is still a mystery).

Frustrating
I bought heavily in 2010 and 2014
Sofar all pure pleasure
Enjoying a 2010 Vaillons the 2nd day now
Typical Dauvissat brinyness and steely minerality
(I know it is too early but the
1er crus taste so damn good)
IMG_20181222_163132.jpg

Claus,

I don’t think it’s too early for 2010’s given the pre-mox problems. I’m only holding onto one 2014 (PYCM) in the hope that i will get lucky to see where it goes with time sideways.

Premox is already hitting some ‘14s, like the Billaud Simon Mont de Milieu I opened recently. (Oddly enough, another bottle also recently opened from the same case was corked, but that’s another issue.)

Ouch I have a 10 forest on the docket for the weekend and have a '12 as a backup! Crossing fingers.

Ouch. Maybe time to do an NYC ‘14 Chablis thing or two, and try to assess broadly.

that’s what I would have said about a year ago, but that’s changing rapidly.

Let’s do that, in Jan or Feb.

The trouble is, the sweet spot for Dauvissat PC’s starts at about 7 years of age on, and later for GC’s. It’s sort of like deciding you are going to drink all of your red burgs at 6 or 7 years of age. You catch everything at the wrong time.

Kevin, I gave up on white burg not long after my 95’s and 96’s fell apart. But I felt that a few of the chablis producers were somehow immune. But Fevre soon fell by the wayside, and now Dauvissat, somewhat late in the game (I’ve not had much premoxed until the latter half of the 2000’s decade.) I wonder if they felt that they were somehow immune, and have been behind in making adjustments that many other places have made.

THe 2010 Forest is fantastic

No way. Almost every bottle of 2000 Preuses and Clos I owned (directly from Europe) after a few years in bottle were premoxed. It’s why I gave up on Dauvissat and missed a lot of delicious wines including the 2007s, which showed amazing potential on release.

Claus just opened and decanted it. Smashing purity, crystalline, the wine is signing…

John,
I felt the same way and switched my buying to Chablis and St Aubin. Then those also started premoxing at a similar rate. I have also dipped my toe back in the water with a few bottles of Cote de Beaunes but I have seen many premox from vintages like 2010 and 2012. The idea that producers might have solved this problem (without figuring out what caused it) has proven to be a fallacy. I am out entirely now.

2008 Preuses was totally shot recently. Will drink the rest of my 08s and 10s by year end and move on. Sad as I’ve had some old Dauvissat that was incredible.