1980 Domaine de Chevalier Rouge

Ok so I may have thrown some money away but this seemed like a ridiculous deal:
8 x 1980 Domaine de Chevalier Rouge for $120 at auction. After commission and delivery it was just over $20 a bottle.

What should I expect?

The bottles arrived and look like they are in pristine condition. I’m thinking of opening one for Christmas but literally can’t find anything online and I’ve never had a DDC that predates Olivier Bernard. I’ve heard that ancient DDC can still be great but there’s no info at all on the 1980 vintage that I’ve found.

Ok so I couldn’t wait. I cracked one open tonight. TN below:

Great fill level, cork a little crumbly but in good shape. Decanted for 30 mins before drinking. Drank over 3 hours. Ruby red in the centre to browning rim.

Nose is of saddle leather and black pepper. Wood smoke that gained with time in the glass; some cherry hiding in the background.

The palate is beautifully clean with good acidity, red berries, lingering anise and pepper. Body kept putting on weight with the hours. So happy I took a flyer on some of these at auction.

This was a no brainer at that price or even double that. Awesome buy. I’ve never tried ‘80 and your note has put it on the radar. Not easy to find ‘80 Bordeaux. A few of us had a beautiful bottle of ‘78 10 days ago that Ramon posted a note on.

Huge score! Nice work…off vintages is where i find my favorite bordeaux’s

Looks like the wine worked out.

Don’t have this but a no-brainer purchase with your price.

Yeah it worked out but I had that horrible moment when I realized I had the only bid with all these thoughts running through my head: “Did I read the description wrong? What does everyone else know that I don’t?”

Good score. I confess that though a huge fan of 20th century DDC I would have hesitated at even low price for 8 bottles - my very limited experience with '80 Bdx is not encouraging, though i would have tried 1 or 2 bottles. So glad it worked out.

Doesn´t sound bad.
However (you´ve got another 7) I´d try to open one 3-4 h in advance before decanting … I´d guess it would perform better still …

However, never had this 1980 …

Everything points to this being right… I was impatient.

Love the older DDCs, and have tasted the 1978, 1979 and 1981 recently. Wonderful wines.