de Vogue Musigny - 2013/2014/2016?

Hey everyone - long time lurker first time poster.

I’ve got an opportunity to purchase some de Vogue Musigny at a great price point (well great for this wine). However, never having had this wine (I’ve only had the 1er), I was looking for some advice from the WB crowd for what vintage to buy. I have access to 2013, 2014 and 2016. 2016 is a special year for me (wedding year), but the small crop means an increased price of ~$175 USD.

On the other hand, I haven’t had much experience with the 2013 Burgundies. I’ve had some experience with 2014, and have loved those, and haven’t particularly loved the 2015s from the little I have tasted.

Looking forward to hearing from the WB community!

I like the 2013 better than the 2014. The cool, long season made for very nice phenolics, and the wine is quite elegant and unusually transparent. It will likely drink very well in a decade. The 2016 I haven’t yet tasted from bottle.

I would prefer 2014 … more balanced, less acidic …
but be prepared to wait at least 12-15 years (better 20+) for any signs of approching maturity …

With the caveat that I haven’t tasted any of your listed vintages of this particular wine, I’ve really liked 2016 as a vintage overall. I certainly haven’t tasted as widely as William or some others, but I think 2016 is the best vintage since 2010 (no doubt there is producer and commune variation, just what I’ve personally tasted). Given the significance of 2016 to you, I’d be very tempted not to pass on that year.

Probably worth adding that you could buy plenty of great Burgundy for the tariff of a few bottles of de Vogüé Musigny, and that in 2016 there are lots of great wines to choose between.

Pretty much the same acid with less ripe tannin, Gerhard.

Thanks all - I really do appreciate the advice!

won’t show best for 30+ years. Are you young and patient?

Well the plan is to purchase these for my “anniversary case” with these being the end game bottles for a 20/30/40 year anniversary…so hopefully!

I was going to suggest, if he has access to the Chambolle 1er at equally good pricing, that would be a good pickup.

Yeah, but there’s something about Musigny…I hear good things about their Amoureuses…would be a great anniversary wine as the name of the vineyard translates to “the lovers”

Anyhow, agree on 2013…great Chambolle year. 2016 is alluring for its rarity and good quality too. Stretch and buy both ; )

Might agree with you from the tastings I attended in the last few months. But wasn’t chambolle one of the most affected communes?

The Chambolle 2er supposedly is just younger vine Musigny.

That’s true - vines younger than age 25. Since they haven’t replanted much lately, they are not sure what will happen to the cuvée in the future.

I think I just invented a new category of Burgundy…

Legally speak there are 3 kinds of AOC ( or category )…and 4 level of Burgundy. You just invented a new level : Chambolle 2er.

Interesting…They could drop a bit of the young vine Moose into the village or make two Musigny cuvees. Think I like the former option better.

I don’t know much about the vintages in question but I drank my only CGdV Musigny, a 2006, last weekend and, based on that experience, would never touch another Musigny before the age of 20…

I would buy something else. They take forever to mature, and it always seems like you are drinking it too young. And for me, I think there is too much oak influence for their Musigny and their Amoureuses for the material involved.

two best red wines of my life were 29 and 45 Vogüé Musigny. 29 was in 2009, 45 about that same time. The 45 cost me $350, shared with a friend. I had the 29 at a tasting so only 1.5 oz. Vogüé Musigny needs a long tine.