Best box/shelving storage for magnums

I’m finishing up a little cellar project that will have wooden racks for regular sized bottles. I’m planning on using the space above the racks to store additional cases and boxes of regular bottles and magnums. I’m looking for the best (space efficient / secure) way to utilize this space to store some magnums.

What are people using? Can Weinboxes hold magnums easily? If so, how many?

Whatever you choose, try to do everything you can to protect against earthquake. Because that will happen eventually…

I use Weinboxes for magnums; they generally fit 6 Bordeaux / Burgundy-style mags each. However, much to my chagrin, German Riesling magnums won’t fit :frowning:

Thanks, Alan and Yao!

Great to hear that “regular” magnums fit in Weinboxes. I’ll take a closer look at the dimensions that and see how many I could fit :slight_smile:

Alan, good point about earthquakes. The racking itself is individual bottles (no diamonds), two bottles deep, and screwed into the walls. I’m planning on putting the most expensive bottles at the bottom and in the back, but magnums and cases will have to go on top, which I know is a risk. There’s only so much I can do living in SF, so wine insurance that covers earthquakes will have to suffice…