Napa Itinerary Help

Hi Folks,

I’m planning what is essentially a one-full-day trip to Napa (in connection with a work trip) and would like to focus on Spring Mountain.

I have appointments currently booked at Smith-Madrone (11am, but able to move it to 2pm if need be) and Stony Hill (145, but with an option to bump it to 330 if need be). I’d like to add one more stop while I’m up there, although there’s no way to drive from S-M to Stony Hill without going back down to 29.

Any suggestions on what might be the best place to add that could be experienced in, say, an hour? I have sort of an “old school” theme going so it might be fun to keep it there. (School House? Barnett?)

Related question: Is there an optimal picnic spot up there?

Thanks, as always, for your expertise.

Maybe Keenan? Togni is great, but not sure if you would need to be on their mailing list. Pride is a lot of fun, right on top of the mountain, maybe not old school. Barnett is a fantastic view, and good cabernet.

If you want to drive up 29 some more up to Calistoga, visit Chateau Montelena.

Like Jim said, Pride isn’t necessarily “old school,” but it is a great picnic spot.

Thx! Have done Montelena previously- and loved it.

Then, come back down the mountain and go to Heitz or Grgich Hills around St. Helena.

Barnett: great view of the valley and really nice people. It’s a precarious drive up Spring Mt. with all of the switchbacks. Consider getting a driver.

You could mix it up and do a bubbles taste at Schramsburg…that’s old school

Warning: Budget extra time to get between wineries, deli, etc. Traffic has really become a problem in Napa Valley with Hwy 29/Main St St. Helena or Silverado Trail closed for hours some weekdays while they try to rebuild both roads.