2016 CdP

Highly regarded vintage; what have people tried so far?

I´ve tried a lot so far, from Pegau (simply great, the best vintage at least after 2010), Rayas (will be released in 2022/23), Marcoux, Bois de Boursan, Clos du Caillou, Ferrand, Domaine de Barroche, Mont-Olivet, Mordoree, Sabon …
The best 2016s show even greater concentration than 2015, but with a lively structure/acidity and freshness …
Nevertheless it is no vintage for lovers of lightweight wines …

I’ve had a lot of 2016s as well - having been over there twice in the last 5 months. Some favorites include Cuvee du Papet from Clos du Mont-Olivet, the Charles Guiraud from Saint-Prefert, the Reserve des Deux Freres from Pierre Useglio, the A La Gloire de Mon Grand-Père from Bosquet des Papes, and the XXL from Janasse.

FWIW, I am a huge fan of the 15s and 17s at Clos des Papes, maybe even more than the 16. And I generally prefer the 17 Cotes du Rhones to the 16s as they just seem more fresh.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

Any thoughts on Beaucastel in ‘16 v ‘17 ?

I picked up a few of those bosquet; maybe I’ll give one a shot soon. So far have mostly loaded up on vt, vd, and Beaucastel for 15 and 16.

I didn’t try the 17. But thought that both the 16 and 15 are pretty backward and a bit disjointed compared to a lot of other CdP from the same vintages. They’re going to be superb, but you want let them sit awhile in the cellar before popping one.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

I have had quite a few 2016’s, having spent 4 days in CdP in November. Mayard, Beaurenard, Barroche, Clos des Papes, Pegau, and Beaucastel. Tried to visit St. Prefert, but no one was available to do a tasting. By far my favorite was Clos des Papes from a QPR perspective, but they are all were excellent.

Clos des Papes has been a bit hard to find at reasonable prices.

A timely topic. For those who are more enamored of the traditional rather than the ripe/sweet versions and luxe cuvées of CdP, what are the standouts? Beaucastel, Charvin, Pegau, Vieux Telegraphe are usually on my buy list. How did they do? Any others not to miss?

+1.

Went into a local wine store here recently with the idea I was going to treat myself to the Clos des Papes 16. They had the 2012 next to that for $50 less! and then to the left of the 2012 was the 16 Beacaustel and 16 Clos du Mont olivet le Cuvee du Papet both for half the 16 Clos des Papes. Hence, I went for the 16 beaucastel and clos Du Mont. 2 for 1 I couldn’t pass up. And my young palate probably couldn’t tell the difference.

I stocked up on Beaucastel, Pegau, VT, and Vieux Donjon (case + of each). I grabbed a few Bosquet de Papes Grand Pere and Grand Veneur VV. The first 3 I consider more traditional, and I’ve really enjoyed the bottles I’ve tried.

Not CdP, but I had the '16 Dom. Cayron Gigondas last night and it had the freshness that seems to characterize the '16s from Burgundy and Beaujolais all the way down to the Southern Rhone. It had a marked grapefruit note on the nose and in the mouth, with tremendous concentration and structure (both tannin and acid). Really terrific stuff at ~$30. And there was no conspicuous alcohol, unlike some '15 Southern Rhones. Bring on the '16s, I say!

Cayron seemed to go through a slump in the mid 2000s, but this is really first rate.

been trying to cut back but for '16 have bought the Beaucastel, Caillou Les Quartz, Janasse Chaupin, and Usseglio Impériale. May buy a few more if I see good pricing.

I heavily recommend Bois de Boursan (in France sold as Jean-Paul VERSINO, orange etiquette) …
very traditional and structured, ageworthy (best after 16-258 years, the 1989 and 1990 are marvallous) …
and should not break the bank …
(not sure if the 2016 will be released before spring … but don´t miss older vintages either)

I’m also looking forward for Bois de Boursan, one of the more consistent fine CDP’s for me! And I like they are produced in a more elegant, almost burgundian style. I remember from a visit a long time ago Jean-Paul was also using some barriques from Bourgogne which resulted also in a finer wine. I don’t know if that is still the case.

BTW I don’t know if anyone here tasted Gradassi Chateauneuf but I received the 2017’s from him some weeks ago. First time I ordered from this winemakes as La revue des vins de France is hyping him a lot. Tated a white Chateauneuf already (not my favourite appellation for whites!) and this was really good: lots of white fruit and flowers, some nutmeg, starts quite round in the mouth but finishes fine and balanced.

Thanks, will add the Cayron Gigondas and Bois de Boursan to my list of usual suspects.

Jean-Paul Versino uses Burgundy barrels only for his Cuvée Felix - and they are quite used, not only 2-3 years old.

I´ve tasted 2 vintages of Gradassi (2009 and 2010) and was not very impressed, they were good but nothing special imho … and I know a lot of other CdPs I like definitely more …

Anyone tried barroche signature?

Yes, outstanding, less jammy than the 2015, very balanced …
(I´m not sure if it´s still called signature … it´s the “regular” cuvée)
The made both the Fiancée and the Pure in 2016 …

Pegau Reservee DMGs