Wine cabinets vs storage

newhere I’m comtemplating buying a nice wine storage for my living room vs paying to store my wine, any thoughts? Reliable and attractive wine storage units?

One way or the other, many on this board, including me, end up with both. Eurocave seems to get consistently high marks.

Buy from Costco. Great prices and returns if any issues. Plus, the Costco Visa extends the standard warranty +2 yrs. :slight_smile:

I’m happy with my Le Cache. But yeah, I have both. One nice bonus of offsite storage is that they receive my shipments for me, so I don’t have to worry about being around to sign.

Any brand in particular?

I think I will do both. Any version of Le Cache that you would recommend?

I have both; I enjoy my Le cache euro credenza; it goes nicely as living room furniture.

I’m on a dad-of-young-kids budget so I bought a WineEnthusiast 166 bottle for $1k 2.5 yrs ago. Love it.

I’m a first time dad of a 2year old. I’m debating what to do as well.

This is what we went with. It does lock which is useful with kids.

I would never pay a place to store wine. Just but a storage unit or build a cellar if you have that much money.

I have this that I bought from Costco — it has 5 shelves for “display” wines. Holds about 150 without stacking, but 3-4 of the racks are stackable. Thinking about buying another for a side-by-side:

The question of what size to get is a tough one. Of course, budget comes into consideration. So does how much space you have, as the bigger ones can loom large in a room. Also, it’s a bit of a crystal ball question, as you are trying to figure out how much space you will eventually “need.“
My advice, assuming you are serious about collecting wine, is to get one with at least a 200 bottle capacity. This is enough to get you started, but also give you some space for aging.

The nice thing about that le cache cabinet is that it can hold quite a few mags on the top shelf to the right of the cooling unit.

I am serious about collecting and I am going to make sure I find the right one. I like all the options so far, my hope is to find a credenza that holds over 200.

[/list]

So far, I only have 75 collectable wines. The storage place is fairly economical but I like to look at my bottles lol

James, I bought 3 Eurocave units and do not regret them at all. I also had a 38 bottle cooler I bought from Home Depot that lasted more than a decade. I have a friend that has his Eurocave from the 70’s and just had to replace the compressor in 2011. They cost a bit more, but if you’re thinking long term…it seems like the least expensive choice as far as my research shows…

There are too many stories of storage being thieved for me to trust my valued bottles someplace other than in my home or in my friend’s basement.

1 Like

Any other pros/cons between a fridge as opposed to a cabinet? It seems like you get twice the storage space in a cabinet for a price similar to a wine fridge.

And I know people who have wine stolen from their houses and friends houses. But I do agree with you, on the whole .