TN: 1996 Dominique Laurent Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru La Richemone

First time on La Richemone for me, if my memory serves. This was quite nice last night.

• 1996 Dominique Laurent Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru La Richemone - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (12/16/2018)
    Opened about about 30 minutes, then a quick decant. Probably the most integrated, balanced, and pleasurable Laurent I’ve ever had. Hints of aging fruit and lots of tertiary, earthy notes. Streaks of the '96 acid are here, but in the right dose and keep things feeling vibrant. Great showing. Drinking now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice, Dennis.

I don’t know why, but I have had great success with '96 Laurents. Some of the first Burgs I ever bought. They all have a nice touch of sous bois that you note, and none of the 200% oak thing going on. If you can find a Beaux Monts, you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks, Matthew. I think I have some '96 Sentiers, too. Need to check on that soon. Will keep an eye for the BeauxMonts.
Cheers!

Thanks for note Dennis, had my first D. Laurent (15 VR Les Beaumonts) this Halloween, which might have been one of the better wines I have had this fall. I know the bad rap about this 200% oak thing, but I found nothing excessive in that wine nor does it appear to be the case with yours.

Thanks, Dale,
The oak can be an issue, but seems to integrate well with age. I’ve never been blown away by Laurent, but a '97 Charmes Chambertin last year was great. They do seem to do well if given the right amount of aging.
Some good info in this thread. Cheers!

Thanks for the notes. Queuing a 1996 Bonnes Mares for the holidays

The '96 Laurents I have had have been splendid. The Clos Vougeot in particular.