TN: Henriot Cuvee des Enchanteleurs 1996

From 1.5L, this wine has a bright warm yellow color and an equally sunny bouquet and palate.

Aromas include lemon and lemon curd with a background of toast and just the faintest hint of nuttiness. In the mouth, texturally there is a nice interplay between piercingness provided by the bubbles and the acidity and the wine’s vinous richness and width. Flavorwise there is a sensation of salinity and white soils, and the continuation of white and yellow flowers present on the aroma, as well as a pronounced yeastiness on the finish.

Seems to be at the end of its primary stage, and at a very enjoyable place. Likely the wine will develop additional stages of development but as much as I love old wines it is hard to see this really get much better.

92 pts

vintage?

Thanks

We drank a bottle on Thursday. While delicious, it was way too advanced for a 1996 Tete de Cuvée.

I have found the 2000 to be weirdly advanced as well. The 1998 however was nothing short of superb six years ago. I’ve understood that they have now stopped producing this cuvée.

Wait, what? I missed this news. If Henriot isn’t making Enchanteleurs, what’s the house going to sell as its tête de cuvée?

Something called Cuvée Hemera: https://www.champagne-henriot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/FT-HEMERA-EN-medaille.compressed.pdf

+1 with the 2000 drinking a lot older than it was. Tried it earlier this year and I was very underwhelmed.

Given the extended lees aging that the Enchanteleurs gets (got?), it should be the opposite, no?

I had magnums of the 59, 78 and 88 last year and they were stellar. Time to pull the cork on a 96 after reading the Comments above

Mike, keep in mind my experience was not with a wine as advanced as the others - but at the end of the primary stage. 1.5L format.