2016 Pichon Comtesse - maybe the best since 1982

2016 Ch. Pichon Comtesse

What a beauty. Velvet and silk on the palate and such sexy. Fantastic balance and with a never-ending length.

It is indeed maybe the best vintage since 1982 according to several wine-journalists.

98/100

IMG_7769.jpg
Cheers,
Martin

Much more in the style of 1996, however—1996 being the first vintage where the blend was totally dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon.

The defining quality of the 1982 Pichon Lalande, and all the great vintages of yesteryear, was the high proportion of old vine Merlot, which used to be 35-50% of the blend. That has all / mostly been ripped up now.

YES William, 1996 Pichon Comtesse is outstanding too.

Thanks for the sneak peek Martin.
I bought this en premiere and can’t wait…
How’d you get your hands on one already?
Not expecting mine until next fall.

“The 2016 Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Merlot and 4% Cabernet Franc (compare that to the 2010 that had 66% Cabernet Sauvignon, for example–that should give you some pointers). The alcohol level is 13.32% and a pH of 3.76. I tasted from a new oak barrel and the final blend will include around 60% new wood and 40% one year old, which is something I took into account”. WA

I would say that in comparison to the outstanding 1996 version, the 2016 has a touch more density&power. But not too much, it still has this magic feminine elegance which I like soo much in case of Pichon Comtesse.

1996 Comtesse is atypical for several reasons. Mostly because its very dominated by Cabernet. But the year is “classic” too with a lot of structure (relativ high acid and tannins). 1982 Comtesse was always a hedonistic bottle of wine while the 1996 is still young and was closed for quite a long time and still is depending on storing. I had a bottle from a cold cellar not long ago that was still all potential. I didn’t taste 2016 Comtesse so far but depending on the vintage characteristic I guess the wine will close down and is in need of patience.

The 2015 was I thought spectacular, but have not tasted 2016. Seems like Lalande is on a roll.

Wasn’t '14 supposed to be excellent? Hat trick?

'14, '15, '16 will be fun comparisons in the future on all bordeaux

Hope so, I got that one. Guess I will keep my eyes open for the 16. Tasted the 15 last winter and skipped it for some other things.

I had the 2016 Pichon Lalande at this tasting TN: Pichon Lalande dinner with Nicolas Glumineau - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers I was tremendously impressed and liked it a lot more than the 2014 and 2015.

Why was it that the new owners opted to replant and change the cepage so dramatically? Given all the marvelous PLLs of the 70s and 80s (I didn’t drink as many after 1990), I found that decision baffling.

You and me both! I have no idea.

And the era of marvelousness stretched back way before the 1970s…

Because their terroir, with all the gravel, is better for Cabernet Sauvignon.

The land with more clay will continue to be cultivated with Merlot. Even with the increased levels of Cabernet, they’ll continue having a large portion of their vines devoted to Merlot.

FWIW, I completely agree with Martin. In fact, that’s exactly what I wrote in April, 2017.

That seems like a very theoretical basis for such a radical makeover of one of the most distinctive and great wines of the region.

Indeed. My guess is some bean counter thinks they should be less atypical. However the Actuaries who got a hold of Pichon Baron across the road a while ago did foster some improvements.

Pichon Lalande has for me always been the seductress of Paulliac. While I’m not buying major Bordeaux any more (ageability of the purchaser more of an issue than the wines) I’d be sad to see the distinctive style adulterated.

Let’s give it time. I love 70s and 80s PLL and count it among my favorite ages BDX but can’t really make a definition judgment on <10 year vintages quite yet.

It’s not theory. It’s a fact. I’ve had the discussion with them. I don’t just make this stuff up.

Also, it is not that radical as you suggest. When the vineyards are done bring replanted, they will continue to have 31-32% Merlot as part of their plantings.

Historically, Pichon Lalande has not always planted such a large percentage of Merlot. That began taking place at some point in the late 1920’s.

Well, obviously they think so. I can only assume they wouldn’t have done it if they didn’t think so. But that’s different than it being a fact that the wines going forward will be better.

Better is an opinion. It happens to be my opinion. I would be surprised if people who have tasted the wines produced today don’t agree, but that’s what makes horse races.

However better was not part of the discussion with John. The fact part of my post was “why” the vineyards are being replanted according to the property