AG scores for Napa 2016 Part 1

For those that subscribe what are your thoughts on the overall scores? My first glance shows the 2016 VHR at 100 points and that doesn’t shock me at all. The Phillips’ family has been making some special wine for a number of years now and it was only a matter of time. Really special people and love visiting them :slight_smile: I know scores don’t matter to some but does matter to some that align with AG’s palate as mine is leaning more in his direction the last several years. Another thing that strikes me, so many new producers and really solid scores for them. I think the quality being produced from Napa is amazing but the QPR’s are sometimes really hard to find!! Thoughts??

2016 Chappellet Signature Cab is your QPR wine. Had it 3 times already and it drinks great young

Maybe more noteworthy is William&Mary getting a pair of 94’s. Congrats, Will.

For which specific wines?

I was a little surprised at the scores for Christopher Tynan wines given the high scores from others
Cabernet Sauvignon Meleagris Vineyard
2012 - 88
2013 - 90
2014 - 91
2015 - 88

Both the cabernet and Proprietary red from2016.

Lots of interesting things in this article

Intro mentions how AG reflected on his time with WA and how Bob mentioned how fast Napa would evolve. Antonio spent 24 days reviewing wines, mainly focusing on estate visits as opposed to comparative tastings.

AG shares that he believes 2016 is best vintage in last decade (similar to 13 but with smoother tannin) Also mentions that the best of 17 will outperform the best of 15 (across most wines)

MacDonald 2017 rated at 90-93. Mentions it may just need more time (lighter than previous vintages) 16 Mac is one of the WOTV according to Antonio!

Colgin Cariad 2016 only other 100 PT wine from first half (similar amount of wineries coming next week) I for one enjoy that AG isint handing out perfect scores as much as his counterparts

Scarecrow 2016 another don’t miss wine (not a surprise here) 98pts

William and Mary 16s both getting 94 as well as a “delicious” comment. Awesome to see a top flight reviewer finally share impressions on these.

Tynan did not receive high scores or praise. Antonio liked the 14 best and mentioned it’s the most complete wine from Chris so far in his opinion.

Excited for the second half next week…

I was very surprised as well. Actually a little disappointed in Antonio for his review of Tynan’s wines. I have had Chris’s wines on countless occasions and I would favorably compare them to the best wines coming out of Napa.

I honestly think that Antonio needs to explain the circumstances of his tasting or qualify his scores with more explanation. I can’t begin to count the wines that Antonio scored higher than Tynan that don’t even come close to approaching the quality of his wines.

To further highlight the disparity, Jeb scored Tynan’s cab in '13 and '14 at 100pts. To be frank I have always been a fan of Jeb’s palette when comes to New World wines. I feel like Antonio has more of an old world palette and that shows in his reviews and scores of CA wines.

Anyhow, that being said, if anyone ever feels like parting with their Tynan wines, you can always send me a PM as me and a number of my friends will gladly find a happy home to them in our cellars.

+100, AG is not my barometer for wine

Truly believe both of them are better than 94 but congrats to Will for the solid scores so early in the history of the label.

Agreed! I tried one of each and I just love them fwiw

The improvement in winemaking throughout the USA is very, very impressive.

We still don’t do terroir or funk or minerality like France or Germany or Italy, but we’re so much better than we used to be.

USA winemaking is starting to move out of its childhood & into its adolescence.

Does anyone know the back story about why Antonio never reviews Schrader? Seems like a producer that’s right in his sweet spot?

I see them mentioned all the time David, I need to get some wines and taste through them!! Thanks for the rec

Hope you enjoy Joe. People pay 3 to 6+ X’s for Pritchard Hill wines. Donn Chappellet was the first there and the family owns the most acreage by far in some of the sweetest spots. They make a bunch of other wines though most not all estate fruit like this one. This has been their flagship wine for over 30 years. Its available in my market for $60 and not much more most places.

Congrats Will!

So interesting, I’m literally in the exact opposite camp from all 3 of you. I completely understand and agree with Antonio’s assessment. I’ve had a few Tynan wines, and agree with Antonio that they are quite extracted wines, and they don’t hit the mark for me.

I actually think Antonio is hitting Napa pretty much 100% to my taste. I’ve regularly found gems that he has highlighted, and I’ve continually bought wines not on score, but his write ups where the wines really sound like they are my style. Where I’m not happy with him is that it really sounds like I need to sign up for Rewa, and I’m not excited about the MSRP of $225 a bottle… champagne.gif

Amen. Great verbiage about that wines that really matches my own notes.

Cheers Ian, it’s always fun to find a Cinderella story :slight_smile:

Never even heard of Tynan before people complained about the scores in this thread.