TN: 2015 Fritz Haag - Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Großes Gewächs (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

2015 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/7/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –
– AP No.: … 08 16 –

NOSE: light/tight; petrol; gooseberry.

BODY: medium-light body; no spritz; green-tinged polished brass color.

TASTE: high acidity; front palate fruit leads into an intense mineral-laden finish; slightly woodsy; 13% alc. not noticeable; extremely good, and I see lots of room for improvement as this unwinds in the cellar. I believe I’ll have this one at or above 95pts as it approaches maturity. This is really something else.

50, 5, 11, 18, 9 = (93+ pts.)

Great note Brian. I popped a GG last night and it merely confirmed that I like Riesling with a bit of sugar. To each their own.

Typically, so do I. But that may partially be a function of not having tried many dry versions. Which did you open Last night?

2014 Heitlinger Tiefenbacher Schellenbrunnen Riesling Großes Gewächs.

It had a nice intensity and loads of lemon/acid, but I wanted a bit of sweetness. C’est la vie.

Corey - do you buy any halbtrocken or feinherb Rieslings?

Feinherb on occasion. And I enjoy them.

I hope it’s clear I’m not trashing anyone’s preferences; I just like Riesling to have some RS. And increasingly, I’m enjoying Rieslings with more age as well.

I’ve generally found that I prefer my German, but particularly my Mosel, Riesling with some RS. I look to Trimbach, the Wachau, Kremstal, and Kampstal for my dry Riesling. I still pick up the occasional GG (just bought 2 from Clemens Busch today) or trocken wine for variety and to keep adding data points, but the pradikat wines with some RS tend to be better values and suit my preferences better.

It was clear to me. I have become an advocate for feinherb, and was hoping you knew to try them.