Bordeaux 1st Growths : TNs

2014 Chateau Mouton Rothschild

• 81% Cabernet Sauvignon , 16% Merlot, 3% Cab Franc
  • David Hockney is the artist who created the label for this vintage and is a tribute to Philippine de Rothschild after her passing. The two wine glasses on the label are supposed to symbolize the passing of the torch at Mouton.
  • Pronounced aromas of French oak , black fruit (black berry, cassis), graphite, and tobacco. Very bright on the palate, precise and balanced tannins, oak, fruit was faint at first but began to open up during the night.
  • Very enjoyable even for being such a young wine in my opinion. I liked this wine a lot and would love to revisit it in the future.

1999 Chateau Margaux
  • 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 3% Petite Verdot, 2% Cabernet Franc
  • WOW what a pronounced, complex, and beautiful nose. Most fragrant wine of the night by far. Aromas of graphite, spice, black pepper, mint, menthol, eucalyptus, dried fruit, cigar box, and leather. On the palate this wine didn’t taste its age, it felt very young and bright with tons of acidity. Smoky (ashy), dried blackberry, dried plump, very well integrated tannins and delicate in weight.
  • Loved this wine and I would be content just smelling this wine the whole night

2004 Chateau Latour
  • 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 1% Cab Franc
  • The 2004’s in tonight’s tastings seemed very closed and tight for the most part but the Latour opened up slightly throughout the night. Surprisingly enough this wine showed the ripest dark fruit aromas of the night. Plenty of black cherry, and blackberry and tons of floral aromas with an emphasis of violets later into the night.
  • Palate was tight with chewy tannins. Faint black fruit and tertiary aromas were overwhelmed by the tannin and didn’t want to show.
  • Others in the tasting group loved this wine but I was disappointed.

2004 Chateau Lafite Rothschild
  • 90.5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, .05% Petite Verdot
  • Aromas of crushed violet, potpourri, charred wood, vanilla, menthol, and dark black fruit. The nose of this wine was great, but the palate was a letdown. VERY closed
  • Biggest disappointment of the night.

1995 Chateau Haut-Brion
  • Blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot (Percentages are not disclosed)
  • Very aromatic! Pronounced aromas of crushed violets, fading fruit (blackberry, dried dates, plum.
  • Palate was similar to the nose but also included menthol, leather, cigar box/tobacco, ash.
  • Very delicious wine, very aromatic but slightly less aromatic than the 1999 Margaux, heavier bodied though.
  • Loved this wine and was very impressed.

Bonus Wine

2011 Chateau d’Yquem

• Special! What a great way to cap off the night.
  • Very pronounced nose and very vibrant. Bright orange peel, very floral, tons of white flower, honey, vanilla.
  • High acidity felt very zippy, extremely sweet but well balanced. Surprised on how light it felt, I was not expecting the thinness (in a good way) of this wine.
  • Extremely fresh with a ridiculously long finish.

My rankings of the wine
  1. 1995 Chateau Haut-Brion
  2. 1999 Chateau Margaux
  3. 2014 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (Unpopular but honest opinion)
  4. 2004 Chateau Latour
  5. 2004 Chateau Lafite Rothschild

My experience with Bordeaux is very limited and going into this tasting I wasn’t the biggest fan. This was my first time every tasting the 1st growths of Bordeaux and I am very lucky to have tasted all of them side by side. My biggest takeaway from this tasting is that ALL these wines are very COMPLEX and very well made. I can say I appreciate Bordeaux more and I look forward to exploring the wines and region in greater depth.
    IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg

I have some 99 Margaux but have not tried it yet. Really looking forward to it. I might pull a bottle out over the holidays based on your notes!

Thanks for the great TNs! I have an irrational passion for 1999 Chateau Margaux. I would drink it once a month if I could.

'04’s def. seem more closed than 5 yrs ago

Sounds like a great way to dive in Bordeaux!