Favorite right bank Bordeaux

So, there is a poll of favorite Left Bank Bordeaux. But I like right bank so what are people’s favorites in no particular order.

Figeac is my favorite followed by Canon, Pavie Macquin, Tropalong, and Angelus. Love Cheval Blanc and regular Pavie but too expensive for me.

My favourites are

Pavie
Pavie Decesse
Monbousquet

Sorry, I’m joking!

Moulin Saint Georges plus maybe Gazin and Nenin - I can’t think of any others - I have liked some but not enough to put them in a “favourite” category.

There’s none left, all the good ones have gone away, like the elves of middle earth.

*** alright, there are some good pomerol left.

Petrus

The end

Cheval Blanc

Like in the other thread, historically:

Petrus
Cheval Blanc
VCC
Magdelaine (sigh)
Figeac

If “there can be only one”, Cheval Blanc.

Unlike former favorites like Pape Clement and Leoville Poyferre on the LB, I reserve personal judgment on the changes at Figeac until I taste the wines from the last few vintages, which I haven’t.

And I’d probably include Ausone on this list if I had more experience with it.

Sadly, I don’t think Petrus is ever going to make my list.

Canon and Magdelaine are my 2 favorites. One is gone, the other has changed gears it seems.

Based mostly on 2001 and earlier
L’Evangile
Trotanoy
Cheval Blanc
Magdelaine
VCC
Canon
Conseillante
Figeac
Ausone

I haven’t had enough Petrus to include, but in theory…

Angelus
Figeac
Canon Gaffelliere
Clinet
VCC
Trotanoy

Ok, of course, Petrus, Ausone and Cheval Blanc. Have had some amazing bottles, some with serious age on them. The 1989 Petrus, had twice with a friend, is hands-down the best Bordeaux that I have ever had.

Now of course, these ain’t affordable.

So to answer the real question:

Vieux Chateau Certan - the top dog in my boat, and in some years, equal to the big three.

Figeac pre-2014

Conseillante pre-2014

Magdelaine

Trotanoy

Gazin

LOL, I was gonna break up with you!

Interesting, Robert, you dont like the '14 Conseillante? I bought one, opened it, and then went back for another.

I do, but 2014 Conseillante and Figeac are turning-point vintages, bringing in modern consultants to reshape their wine. You can see the change happening, but the vintage sorta kept things in check for both of them. If you look at the Leve scores on 2015 and 2016, I’m guessing that they’ve gone dark for my palate, but in truth, I’m really not buying much post-2014 given that I am 53.

Figeac is the only St Emilion I have bought a lot of. I like the Canon la Gaffeliere I’ve had as well. I keep meaning to branch out a bit to some others, but it’s such a crapshoot. Anybody got any recommendations for good wines in the sub-$40 arena?

Pomerol is not my thing at all; maybe Petrus is different, but I’ve never had any.

Robert, they added your arch nemisses in 2012. What changes have taken place at either estate that let you think something has gone awry?

Have you actually tasted the 2015 from Figeac or La Conseillante?

Haha, like a broken record! Although, you could say that I am one, too.

Let me say this for the 10th time: I have not tried the 2015 or 2016. I am not going to plonk down that kind of cash when I have a 10+ year history of knowing for a fact that I generally do not like the wines produced by these consultants that you love. Your scores and notes also tell me what I need to know.

To your credit, you have very clear notes:

2015 Figeac - 99 pts.

This is silky, > rich and decadent> , it’s > almost off the charts> . Blackberry, > licorice, espresso> , truffle and pure black cherry aromatics create the bouquet. On the palate this is where the wine really hits the home run! Silky, polished, vibrant, intense and concentrated, the wine expands as it lingers moving from the mid palate to the silky, full bodied, blast of fruit, spice, vibrancy and dark fruits. The velvet textured finish stays on your palate for over 50 seconds with all its deep, dark, perfectly ripe fruits. This should age for 30-50 years without trouble. There are wines you want to have in your cellar and there are wines you want your friends to cellar as well, and this is one of those wines.

And a second note:

This was the best wine ever produced at Figeac, until they made the 2016. But that should not take anything away from this stunner. > Lusciously textured, hedonistic> , fragrant and complex, the wine has everything needed to hit the top, or surpass my initial score range…
Read more at:> Learn about Chateau Figeac St. Emilion Bordeaux Complete Guide

2016 Conseillante - 99 pts.

Dark in color, the wine pops with scents of

blackberry liqueur

, violets, spice box, truffle, > licorice> , smoke and plums. On the palate, the wine has a > richness and density seldom found here> , but don’t let that scare you because, as you would expect, the wine is fresh, elegant and refined. Nothing is different; there is simply more raw material. The fruit is perfect, the tannins are ripe and the > liqueur and licorice remain with you for close to 50 seconds> . The wine was made from a blend of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc. Starting with the young vines, the Merlot was harvested from September 21 to October 13, representing the longest harvest in the history of the estate. The Cabernet Franc was picked on two dates, October 12 and October 17. The wine reached 14% alcohol with a pH of 3.65 and will be aged in 70% new French oak barrels.

You know these wines have changed, the styles have changed. You say it in your notes.

Don’t be so obtuse, mon frere!

Cool. With the 20% coupons that are now again making (rare) appearances for Total Wine, the '14 Conseillante can be bought for $80. Great deal, imo.

Robert, the big difference is, I’ve actually tasted the wine to decide if I liked it or not.

You know I have no issue with you or anyone with strong. divergent or opposing views. But offering opinions on wines you have not tasted is silly.

What would you to someone who said they loved a wine without tasting it?

Based on my notes, you might not like the wine. And that’s the purpose of a tasting note. If should clearly inform readers what to expect from the wine.

But what has changed at the estate that tells you something is different ? What are they doing today that they didn’t do previously?

One of these days one of my notes might appear in that meat grinder, tasting notes thread, :grin: