TN: 2016 Kirkland Signature Cabernet Sauvignon Signature Series Rutherford

I bought and drank this, thinking it was the same wine being discussed in the 2016 Kirkland Signature Series, Stags Leap District Cabernet thread. It is not the same wine. This is generic crap. If you like it, save some money and just buy box wine and never post here again. My tasting note below:

Posted from CellarTracker

Ouch!

That almost makes me want to buy one just for the experience!

[cheers.gif]

So…better than Caymus?

I don’t think it’s as bad as the note above but I certainly won’t be getting anymore. Plus for $14/bottle it’s hard to imagine the product that went into the bottle.

Caymus is the other end of the spectrum. It’s over extracted and over-ripe. They seem to want to maximize glycerol and residual sugar. If you have never had that mouth coating glycerol and don’t have a cellar, I can see why Caymus would taste different than other wines you’ve had. This is just generic. In a blind taste test I’d say it was cheap Zinfandel. It would be more likely to be confused with Belle Glos than Caymus.

Thanks for this - I almost snagged one the other day based on how good the Stags Leap was. I definitely will not be now.

Oh young padawan, a lot to learn you have.

Kirkland hit a home run with the Stags Leap. The oakville was good as well; however, the Rutherford did fall short. It’s not “terrible” if you put everything in context. If I’m at Costco I probably buy a few more Knights Valley inlieu

Yeah, who’s selling Rutherford fruit at a price where Costco can produce it in enough quantity to brand it Kirkland and make money at $14?

It’s $17.99 at my local Costco.

Was doing my weekly search at Costco and saw this. Glad I didn’t buy.

I thought this wine was fine. No, maybe not the killer SLD we all stole from Costco recently. But in the rhelm of $16 Napa Valley Rutherford wine…very solid. I am going to get more. Keep things in perspective, folks…

I agree, this was generic crap red.

Fruit is from Girard. FYI.

Clearly did not make the cutoff for their estate wine. Also maybe from substandard barrels.