Ground shipping from western NY to the Willamette valley.

Okay to send wine now?

Check temperatures along the likely route. You won’t find the Minneapolis or Omaha forecasts reassuring. Picture it in a container on a train on a siding, or in a semitrailer pulled over at a rest stop for the night on I-90.

Wine can’t freeze till it’s in the low 20Fs (the alcohol lowers the freezing temperature), but I sure wouldn’t chance it.

I would do it, but check the mountains to see if it is cold there yet (WY-MT), cold meaning teens or lower.
Upstate NY (REAL upstate) going to be in the 40’s from F thru to M, so good time to ship from here.

Also take into account how much it costs, and when you plan to drink it. If it’s a case of $20 riesling which you plan to drink by the pool next summer, then I would go for it. If you bought some 2015 First Growth Bordeaux and you are shipping it out there, think twice.

Joe

I use this site to gauge high and low temps across the country for potential shipping:

Actually looks pretty good right now, and for the next week.

Thanks for the input. It is only two bottles of moderately priced Riesling, so I’m going for it.