California Vintages 2013 and 2014

I’ve asked this a couple of times in other threads, but I’m still wondering… To make things easier on myself, I have a set rotation where I roll into the next vintage around Thanksgiving - Cabs & Syrah at age 7, Pinot & Zins at age 6, etc. My question is a little premature, but based on some of the tasting notes I have read here (primarily California Cabernet, but California in general), it seems like it might be a good idea to jump to the 2014’s in November 2019 and come back to the 2013’s the following year. Is anyone thinking along these lines, or do you not drink wine in such a linear fashion anyway? Cheers!

I haven’t had a 2013 since a trip to Napa & Sonoma in the fall of 2011 but based on that and some earlier samples, I am planning to wait a long time for the better 2013s to hit their peak. I would expect 2014 to drink better before the 2013s.

13’s are generally not even close to being ready, this coming from a guy who loves young wine. Every time I open one thinking it might have come around be now im disappointed. The 14’s are way more approachable, i would flip to 14’s then ask same question next year about 15’s which are super approachable.Not tasted enough 16’s yet to form an opinion on that vintage, although the reports are its way softer than 13.

As usual for me i have an opinion nobody shares about 13’s, i am very concerned that they are so severe in a lot of cases right now that by the time they soften the fruit will be gone and we will be left with more Bdx style wine with character but no fruit. Some people will hope for this, i will not Love some fruit in my wine

I’m trying to wrap my head around that math.

Agree that as a very general proposition, 2014 should drink well before the 2013s. The same is true of Oregon, IMO.

Whoops. 2011 was Central Coast. 2016 was Napa & Sonoma.

Although unlikely that you are asking about Anderson Valley pinots, I have vintages from 07 onward and really like the 13s recently from many producers. I would prefer them to the 12/14/15s at this point after tasting many side by side.

Exception of Cerise vineyard, of which haven’t had a 13 or younger that is ready at all!

Funny you mention AV - that was my first 2013 that got me thinking about this issue. By mistake (or necessity) Navarro sent me some 2013 Deep End Blend mags (instead of 2012). I went ahead and opened the 2013 at Thanksgiving (last year) and it was definitely not ready for consumption - quite a bit of structure there that I haven’t experienced with other Deep End Blends. Cheers!

For my palate you are jumping the gun for both vintages. Of course I usually don’t drink cabs until they are ten. Even if your target is 7 years you wouldn’t start drinking these until '20 and '21?

I have only drank one bottle of '13 because I kept seeing high praise in Cellar Tracker notes. For me it was no where near ready, to primary, out of balance, and with a lot of rough edges.